1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative velocity problem

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    A boat A is chasing boat B along a river by moving in the same direction as the
    stream. The speed of the river stream is 6 miles per hour, the speed of boat B relative to
    the river is 48 miles per hour, and boat A is 8 miles per hour slower than boat B.
    Currently boat B is ahead of boat A, and a person throws a stone horizontally at boat A at a
    speed 23 miles per hour relative to their boat.

What is the horizontal velocity of the stone relative
    to boat A and to the river bank? [What are the positive direction of motion and indicate what the origin is]

I let the direction of boat A and B be the positive direction.
    Boat A have a relative velocity of Xp=40 and boat B have a relative velocity of Xq=48.
    Relative velocity of boat B to boat A Xqp=48-40=8
    Am I right in letting the relative velocity of the brick Xb= -23, because its going backwards and now how do I calculate Xbp? or is that the wrong approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2
    anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook