Relative Velocity Time Dilation: Experiments Disproving Theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses a theory of time dilation that does not follow the principles of special relativity. This theory suggests an absolute frame of reference and calculates time dilation based on velocity relative to this frame. However, experiments have shown that this theory is in disagreement with special relativity. The conversation also mentions experiments that support the theory of relativity and questions whether there are any experiments that disprove this theory. The OP apologizes for any spelling or grammatical errors.
Doc_Z
I have a question regarding time dilation due to relative velocity. (It's just about time dilation due to velocity not about gravitational effects.)

I have seen a theory where time dilation is not relative, but always considered against an absolute frame of reference. The absolute frame of reference is given by the origin of an inertial frame with zero total momentums. Time dilation is calculated in the normal way, but the velocity is always referred to the absolute frame. (This means that there is a state of absolute rest and motions of inertial frames of reference relative to the absolute frame can be measured.)

Of course, this theory is in disagreement with special relativity. Since the velocity of the Earth is about 369 km/s - taken from cosmic microwave background - there should be experiments with are in disagreement with this theory.

For example I had a look here: "Optical Clocks and Relativity" C. W. Chou, D. B. Hume, T. Rosenband, D. J. Wineland. However, due to the "harmonic motion" in this experiments, I found that the results are in agreement with the theory. (First order effects are the same for both theories and second order effects are too small to see them.)

There are many other experiments about time dilatation. Are there experiments which disprove this theory?

(Sorry for my spelling and grammatical errors.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Doc_Z said:
I have seen a theory where time dilation is not relative...
"I have seen a theory" is not acceptable reference under the Physics Forums rules - you have to be able to point to something that has undergone some level of peer review so that it is clear what this theory you're asking about is.

There are many other experiments about time dilatation. Are there experiments which disprove this theory?
There's no way of answering that question until we know what theory you're asking about. However, you may want to review this FAQ on experimental support for relativity, see if you can find what you're looking for there: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/faq-experimental-basis-of-special-relativity.229034/

This thread is closed.

Likes weirdoguy

1. What is relative velocity time dilation?

Relative velocity time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object that is moving at a high velocity relative to an observer. This is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does relative velocity time dilation work?

The theory of relativity states that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. As an object approaches the speed of light, its perception of time slows down. This is due to the fact that time and space are interconnected, and as an object moves faster, it experiences a distortion of both time and space.

3. Are there any experiments that have disproven this theory?

No, there have not been any experiments that have definitively disproven the theory of relative velocity time dilation. In fact, numerous experiments, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment and the Muon experiment, have provided evidence in support of this theory.

4. How is relative velocity time dilation relevant to everyday life?

While the effects of relative velocity time dilation are only noticeable at extremely high speeds, this phenomenon has important implications for technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise time measurements to function accurately. Without accounting for time dilation, GPS systems would quickly become inaccurate.

5. Is there any practical application for relative velocity time dilation?

Yes, the theory of relativity and the concept of relative velocity time dilation have been used to develop technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors. They have also been integral in our understanding of the universe and have led to advancements in space travel.