Relative Velocity of Points on Rotating Disc

In summary, the relative velocity between two points on a rotating disc, other than the center of mass, is non-zero in any inertial frame. This is because the points are non-inertial due to the change in direction. However, the relative velocity will be zero if the frame is rotating with the particle. Additionally, the velocity of one point from the other's frame will depend on the distance from the center of mass and the angular velocity of the disc.
pardesi
consider a disc which is rotating about an axis passing through it;s centre of mass now consider a points on the disc other than the centre of mass which are in line with the centre of mass
what is their relative velocity and what is the velocity of one point from other's frame

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are asking. A point a distance r from the center of the disk will have a tangential velocity of magnitude [itex]\omega r[/itex] with respect to the axis.

You want the relative velocity of what with respect to what?

I don't know the real scientific answer to this. My own system of logic says that there is zero relative velocity, and each appears stationary to the other.
My reasoning is that two places (say, New York and Los Angeles) are whipping around in a similar manner, but the roads between them don't have to be flexible.

yes i got that now after thinking really too much wavering...
if i am not wron the velocity depends on the frame of my refrence if the is rotating with the particle then speed of other point is 0 if it isn't rotating and is parallel to the c.m frame it is [tex]\vec{\omega} (\vec{b}-\vec{a})[/tex]

if i am wrong please do correct me

@doc al i want the relative velocity between two points n line with the cente of rotation

Ah... I think I understand the question. Imagine two points a & b in a straight line along a radius. Point a is at a distance [itex]r_a[/itex] from the center and point b is at a distance [itex]r_b > r_a[/itex] from the center. Find their relative velocity. Is that the question?

If so, use what I mentioned in the first post to figure their relative velocity. (It's not zero!)

is the relative veolcity sam as the velocity of this point as seen from the others frame

pardesi said:
consider a disc which is rotating about an axis passing through it;s centre of mass now consider a points on the disc other than the centre of mass which are in line with the centre of mass
what is their relative velocity and what is the velocity of one point from other's frame
This is avery fantastic question.Relative velocity should be zero,because displacement of one point with respect to other at any time is zero.

I believe pardesi's second post gets it right: it is non-zero in any inertial frame.

masudr said:
I believe pardesi's second post gets it right: it is non-zero in any inertial frame.
Anyhow both the points are non-inertial-because of change in direction(acceleration)

My reasoning is that two places (say, New York and Los Angeles) are whipping around in a similar manner, but the roads between them don't have to be flexible.
However, a person will weigh less in Los Angeles than New York, because LA is closer to the equator, and the linear velocity is higher. The centripal force, V^2/R is higher the closer you get to the equator, and zero at the poles. (This would be true if the Earth were truly spherical).

1. What is the relative velocity of points on a rotating disc?

The relative velocity of points on a rotating disc refers to the speed at which points on the disc are moving in relation to one another. This velocity is dependent on the rotational speed of the disc and the distance of the points from the center of rotation.

2. How is the relative velocity of points on a rotating disc calculated?

The relative velocity of points on a rotating disc can be calculated using the equation v = ωr, where v is the relative velocity, ω is the angular velocity (rotational speed) of the disc, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point of interest.

3. Does the relative velocity of points on a rotating disc change?

Yes, the relative velocity of points on a rotating disc changes as the disc rotates. As the distance from the center of rotation increases, the relative velocity also increases. Additionally, if the rotational speed changes, then the relative velocity will also change.

4. How does the direction of rotation affect the relative velocity of points on a rotating disc?

The direction of rotation does not affect the relative velocity of points on a rotating disc. The equation v = ωr will yield a positive or negative value depending on the direction of rotation, but the magnitude of the relative velocity will remain the same.

5. Can the relative velocity of points on a rotating disc be negative?

Yes, the relative velocity of points on a rotating disc can be negative. This occurs when the direction of rotation is opposite to the direction of the point's motion, resulting in a negative value for v in the equation v = ωr.