Find David's Velocity w/ Respect to John: Relative Velocity Homework

In summary, John's equation of motion is Rj(t)=(t^2+3t)i + tj and David's equation of motion is Rd(t)=5ti+t^3j. At t=1, David's velocity with respect to John can be found by differentiating their positions with respect to time using the equation \frac{d}{dt} (x^n) = nx^{n-1}. Plugging in t=1 in the first place is a dead end.
student 1

Homework Statement

John equation of motion is Rj(t)=(t^2+3t)i + tj. David's equation of motion is Rd(t)=5ti+t^3j. At t=1 find David's velocity with respect to john.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know if you plug in the one that will give you the position they are both at when t=1. Where do I go from there to find their velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a dead end if you plug in t=1 in the first place. Instead, you should differentiate the positions with respect to time to find the velocities. Hint:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} (x^n) = nx^{n-1}[/tex]

Ok, that makes a lot more sense! I believe that's going to help me out! Thanks. I was just totally looking past that.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the velocity of one object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their direction of movement.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of the other object. This can be done by using vector addition or the formula: relative velocity = velocity of object A - velocity of object B.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed point or reference frame, while relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another moving object. Absolute velocity does not take into account the motion of other objects, whereas relative velocity does.

4. How does relative velocity apply to everyday life?

Relative velocity is important in many aspects of everyday life, such as determining the speed of a car in relation to the speed limit, calculating the speed of a plane in relation to the wind, or understanding the motion of objects in a moving vehicle.

5. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative if the objects are moving in opposite directions. This indicates that the objects are moving away from each other. However, if the objects are moving in the same direction, the relative velocity will be positive.