Relative Velocity: Henrik's Understanding

In summary, the conversation discusses the relativity of movement and the idea that an object's velocity can be seen differently depending on one's viewpoint. It is also mentioned that the universe is not expanding in the traditional sense and that there are no edges to it. The idea of objects moving faster than the speed of light is also discussed. Lastly, the concept of being "still" or "immovable" in the expanding universe is questioned.
Hernik
Hi.

Movement is relative I understand. Whether atom A passes atom B in empty space or B passes A is only a question of viewpoint. One can only be moving or still compared to something else. Somewhere at the edge of the visible universe everything is moving away from me with almost the speed of light. Is it then theoreticaly just as well to say that the edge of the universe i immovable and I am moving towards my own middle with almost the speed of light? (Of course I realize some practical problems here. I'm just wondering whether this would be a correct interpretation of the laws of physics :-D )

best regards, Henrik

Physics news on Phys.org
Hernik said:
Is it then theoreticaly just as well to say that the edge of the universe i immovable and I am moving towards my own middle with almost the speed of light? (Of course I realize some practical problems here. I'm just wondering whether this would be a correct interpretation of the laws of physics :-D )

best regards, Henrik

The universe is not expanding in the sense that you are using. There are no edges of the universe, but it is finite. There is no middle of the universe.

Although, here's an example that I think you're might be looking for. Let's say you and another object are in an isolated frame. To you, the object appears to be traveling at .5c, but in reality it doesn't matter whether you say the object is traveling at .5c, or to say that you are traveling at -.5c.

We usually never assume this property because in our world/life, you are always aware of when you gain velocity, and so when something else appears to be traveling at v, and you are not aware of any force that may have changed your velocity, we assume that indeed that object is traveling at v. But again, it does not matter. As long as you treat the other relativistic transforms accordingly, you can exchange the velocity of an object, v, for the velocity of the 'stationary' observer, -v.

Hernik said:
Movement is relative I understand. Whether atom A passes atom B in empty space or B passes A is only a question of viewpoint. One can only be moving or still compared to something else.
This part is OK.

Hernik said:
Somewhere at the edge of the visible universe everything is moving away from me with almost the speed of light.
Actually a lot of stuff in the visible region is moving away with a speed greater than c. (The distance from us increases by more than 299792458 meters each second). This doesn't violate the "speed limit" of relativity, which says that nothing can have a faster speed than c relative to something in its vicinity. (There are other threads about this. I suggest you do a search).

Hernik said:
Is it then theoreticaly just as well to say that the edge of the universe i immovable and I am moving towards my own middle with almost the speed of light?
No, but you can say that a galaxy far away isn't moving and that you are moving relative to it. You can also say that neither of you is moving, but the the distance between you is still increasing fast because of the expansion of space.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity refers to the velocity of an object with respect to a different reference point or observer. It is the speed and direction of an object as seen by an observer in a different frame of reference.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. This is done in vector form, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of the velocities.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity refers to the velocity of an object with respect to a fixed reference point, while relative velocity takes into account the velocity of an object with respect to a different reference point or observer.

4. What are some real-life examples of relative velocity?

Some real-life examples of relative velocity include a person running on a moving train, a boat moving against the current of a river, and a car merging onto a highway.

5. How does understanding relative velocity impact our daily lives?

Understanding relative velocity can help us better navigate and predict the movements of objects around us. It is also important in fields such as aviation, navigation, and space travel.