1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Velocity

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is an inclined plane(mass M) with inclination theta kept on a frictionless surface. A block of mass m is kept on it which is allowed to slide due to gravity. Find the accleration of the block with respect to to incline.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem with this is that my answer does not match. So please guys just tell me if my answer is right or not?
    If it proves out to be wrong, I shall post my working as well (its too big)

My answer:

[tex]\vec{A}= \frac{(M-m)g sin \theta cos \theta}{M+m sin^{2}\theta} \hat{i}+ \frac{(M+m)g sin ^{2}\theta}{M+m sin^{2}\theta} \hat{j}[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2
    I dont want you guys to directly tell me the answer. I have solved the question and I have got the following answer:
    [tex]\vec{A}= \frac{(M-m)g sin \theta cos \theta}{M+m sin^{2}\theta} \hat{i}+ \frac{(M+m)g sin ^{2}\theta}{M+m sin^{2}\theta} \hat{j}[/tex]

I just want you guys to tell me if th answer is correct or not. If not, I will show all the work that I did in order to get this answer.
    My motive is only to save time.
    Please help me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?