Find Relative Velocity: Acceleration on Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation is about finding the acceleration of a block on an inclined plane with mass and inclination given. The attempted solution is not matching with the expected answer and the person is seeking confirmation on the correctness of their answer. They are willing to share their working if needed.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

There is an inclined plane(mass M) with inclination theta kept on a frictionless surface. A block of mass m is kept on it which is allowed to slide due to gravity. Find the accleration of the block with respect to to incline.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem with this is that my answer does not match. So please guys just tell me if my answer is right or not?
If it proves out to be wrong, I shall post my working as well (its too big)My answer:

[tex]\vec{A}= \frac{(M-m)g sin \theta cos \theta}{M+m sin^{2}\theta} \hat{i}+ \frac{(M+m)g sin ^{2}\theta}{M+m sin^{2}\theta} \hat{j}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
ritwik06 said:

Homework Statement

There is an inclined plane(mass M) with inclination theta kept on a frictionless surface. A block of mass m is kept on it which is allowed to slide due to gravity. Find the accleration of the block with respect to to incline.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem with this is that my answer does not match. So please guys just tell me if my answer is right or not?
If it proves out to be wrong, I shall post my working as well (its too big)

My answer:

[tex]\vec{A}= \frac{(M-m)g sin \theta cos \theta}{M+m sin^{2}\theta} \hat{i}+ \frac{(M+m)g sin ^{2}\theta}{M+m sin^{2}\theta} \hat{j}[/tex]
I don't want you guys to directly tell me the answer. I have solved the question and I have got the following answer:

I just want you guys to tell me if th answer is correct or not. If not, I will show all the work that I did in order to get this answer.
My motive is only to save time.
Please help me.

Your answer appears to be correct. The acceleration of the block on the inclined plane can be found using the formula a = (mgsinθ - μMgcosθ) / (m + Msin^2θ), where μ is the coefficient of friction between the block and the inclined plane. This equation takes into account the normal force and the force of friction acting on the block. It is important to note that the acceleration will vary depending on the angle of inclination and the masses of the block and the inclined plane. Additionally, the acceleration will decrease if the coefficient of friction increases, as this will create a larger opposing force on the block. It is always important to carefully consider all factors and variables when solving scientific problems.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object relative to another object. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the object in relation to the other object.

2. How is acceleration on an inclined plane different from acceleration on a flat surface?

Acceleration on an inclined plane is affected by gravity and the angle of the incline, whereas acceleration on a flat surface is affected by friction and external forces.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating acceleration on an inclined plane is a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration on an inclined plane?

The mass of an object does not affect its acceleration on an inclined plane. The acceleration is solely dependent on the angle of the incline and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How can relative velocity be calculated on an inclined plane?

To calculate relative velocity on an inclined plane, you would need to know the initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement of the object. Then, you can use the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.