1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative velocity

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dat

So a child is running with the conveyer belt. Relative to the conveyer belt he is running 2.5 m/s.

2. Relevant equations

To find the relative velocity of the child to earth, I'm guesing is:

Velocity of child relative to earth= (v of belt to earth)+(v of child to belt)

If V child-belt = 2.5, that means he is running 2.5 m/s while on the belt right?

So if the child is running against the belt at the same speed, is the equation the same? Is the V child-belt still 2.5 but in the opposite direction?

If i plug in random numbers in the equation for running against the belt, it seems to work still. Say belt is moving 1m/s --> -1.5 m/s= 1 m/s - 2.5 m/s, seems right, he runs -1.5 relative to stationary observers.

But I would assume, since the belt is coming towards the child, the relative velocity of the child to the belt would be greater than 2.5 m/s? and would equal |Velocity of conveyer belt to earth| + |Velocity of child running (not sure what reference frame now)|?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2
    Could you please post some data about the conveyor belt?

Just remember the definition:

[tex]v_{12}=v_{10}-v_{20}[/tex]

Which, for your case would translate into:

[tex]v[/tex]child relative to conveyor [tex]=v[/tex]child relative to earth[tex]-v[/tex]conveyor relative to earth

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    The other information was the length of the conveyor and i was suppose to find the acceleration. But I was just confused about the relative velocity.

It seems like as long as I use that equation, it works out. Though I still don't quite understand. If you two people running towards each other should it not be their velocities added for their relative velocity to one another?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook