1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Relative velocity

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Man can swim 3m/s in the water, water flows 5m/s. River is 176 m wide Find direction at which a) he will end up as little downstream as possible, b) as quick as possible.

2. The attempt at a solution

For b) I think it would be the fastest speed possible i.e. 90 degrees towards bank.
    u_r = 5i +0j
    u_m = 0i+3j
    vm/r = 5i - 3j = 5.83 m/s, which seems to me give the fastest time of 30 seconds.

For a) I'm not too sure, I though the angle would be 45 degrees up stream but than when I work out everything, distance in downstream would be over 200, where in the case of b) downstream was only 170.

Thanks for any hi

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Draw a picture. Draw an arrow pointing upward at angle [math]\theta[/math] having length 3t, where t is the time to swim across, to the other bank, then an arrow pointing directly downstream having length 5t m/s . To go "end up downstream as little as possible", the least possible would be no downstream at all which is why I said "to the other bank".

We now have a right triangle with legs of length 3t and 5t and hypotenuse 176 m. The angle upstream is given by [itex]tan(\theta)= \frac{5t}{3t}= \frac{5}{3}[/itex]

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    But this would look like this

attachment.php?attachmentid=25415&d=1272368349.jpg

Which makes an angle of θ = Sin^-1 5/3, which is impossible.

Why do you take is as Tan θ

Attached Files:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook