Relative Velocity of P & Q: Magnitude & Direction

In summary, the first particle, P, moves on a horizontal plane along the circumference of a circle with center O and a radius of 3m at an angular velocity of pi/4 rad/s in the clockwise direction. A second particle, Q, moves on the same plane along a circle with radius 2m and the same center as the first circle at an angular velocity of pi/2 rad/s in the clockwise direction. At first, O, P, and Q are collinear with P and Q located at the north of O. Find the magnitude and direction of the velocity of P relative to Q.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

A particle , P moves on a horizontal plane along the circumference of a circle with centre O and a radius of 3m at an angular velocity of pi/4 rad/s in the clockwise direction . A second particle , Q moves on the same plane along a circle with radius 2m and the same centre as the first circle at an angular velocity of pi/2 rad/s in the clockwise direction . At first , O, P and Q are collinear with P and Q located at the north of O . Find the magnitude and direction of the velocity of P relative to Q .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the angular displacement of P and Q are 3pi/4 and 3pi/2 respectively .

The linear velocities of P and Q are 3pi/4 and pi respectively .

then one of the angle of the triangle is 3pi/4

so i can use the cosine rule ,

|pVq|^2=pi^2+(3pi/4)^2-2pi(3pi/4)cos (3pi/4)

|pVq|=5.49 m/s

bu the answer given is 5.09 m/s

where did i go wrong ?

Attachments

• relative velocity.jpg
    relative velocity.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi thereddevils! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
thereddevils said:
|pVq|^2=pi^2+(3pi/4)^2-2pi(3pi/4)cos (3pi/4)! :smile:

|pVq|=5.49 m/s

bu the answer given is 5.09 m/s

where did i go wrong ?

(i assume this is to be calculated after 3 seconds?)

General tip: take out any awkward factors first … then you're less likely to make mistakes, and if you do make one, you're more likely to see where it is.

Then your equation is (π/4)2 times (9 + 16 + 2*3*4*1/√2) = (π/4)2(25 + 12√2) … :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi thereddevils! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

(i assume this is to be calculated after 3 seconds?)

General tip: take out any awkward factors first … then you're less likely to make mistakes, and if you do make one, you're more likely to see where it is.

Then your equation is (π/4)2 times (9 + 16 + 2*3*4*1/√2) = (π/4)2(25 + 12√2) … :wink:

thanks tiny , is my mistake in the calculation in the cosine rule , or the diagram is wrong ?

I think your calculator is wrong. :redface:

tiny-tim said:
I think your calculator is wrong. :redface:

lol ! , its in radians mode :grumpy:

thanks a lot !

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object or particle in relation to another object or reference point. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their direction of movement.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

The relative velocity of an object can be calculated by subtracting the velocity of the reference point from the velocity of the object. This can be expressed as Vrel = Vobject - Vreference.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of relative velocity?

The magnitude of relative velocity refers to the speed of an object in relation to the reference point, while the direction of relative velocity refers to the angle at which the object is moving in relation to the reference point.

4. How does the relative velocity of two objects affect their collision?

The relative velocity of two objects can determine the outcome of a collision. If the relative velocity is high, the collision will be more forceful and result in greater damage. If the relative velocity is low, the collision will be less forceful and result in less damage.

5. Can relative velocity ever be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the reference point is moving in the opposite direction of the object. In this case, the relative velocity would be expressed as a negative value to indicate the direction of movement.