Relative Velocity of Ship A to Ship B: Magnitude and Time

It will be arctan(y/x) In summary, Ship A has a velocity of 3m/s due NE and Ship B has a velocity of 2.6 m/s in direction S30E. To find the magnitude and direction of the velocity of Ship A relative to Ship B, we can use the components of the vector, which can be calculated using the formula arctan(y/x). After 4.45 seconds, the two ships will be 140m apart.
Clari
Ship A travels at 3m/s due NE, ship B travels at 2.6 m/s in direction S30E.
a. What are the magnitude and direction of the velocity of ship A relative to ship B?
b. After what time will they be 140m apart?

I have found the answer to be 4.45m/s
But I don't know whether it is true...and I am not sure of its direction.
Please help. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Clari said:
Ship A travels at 3m/s due NE, ship B travels at 2.6 m/s in direction S30E.
a. What are the magnitude and direction of the velocity of ship A relative to ship B?
b. After what time will they be 140m apart?

I have found the answer to be 4.45m/s
But I don't know whether it is true...and I am not sure of its direction.
Please help. :frown:

you can use the components of that vector you figured out to get the direction.

Last edited:

a. The magnitude of the velocity of ship A relative to ship B can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem:

V = √(3² + 2.6²) = √(9 + 6.76) = √15.76 = 3.97 m/s

The direction can be found using trigonometric functions:

tanθ = 2.6/3 = 0.8667

θ = tan⁻¹(0.8667) = 40.01°

Therefore, the velocity of ship A relative to ship B has a magnitude of 3.97 m/s and a direction of 40.01° N of E.

b. To find the time it takes for the ships to be 140m apart, we can use the formula:

d = rt

140 = (3.97)t

t = 140/3.97 = 35.26 seconds

Therefore, after 35.26 seconds, ship A and ship B will be 140m apart.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and is measured as the difference between their velocities.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of the other object. This can be done by using vector addition or by using the formula v(A/B) = v(A) - v(B).

3. What factors affect the relative velocity of two ships?

The relative velocity of two ships can be affected by the speed and direction of each ship, as well as any external forces acting upon them, such as wind or currents.

4. How does the magnitude of relative velocity change during the motion of two ships?

The magnitude of relative velocity can change during the motion of two ships depending on their initial velocities and the path they are traveling. If both ships are moving in the same direction, the magnitude of relative velocity will decrease as they get closer. If they are moving in opposite directions, the magnitude of relative velocity will increase as they get closer.

5. Can the relative velocity of two ships be negative?

Yes, the relative velocity of two ships can be negative if they are moving in opposite directions. This means that the two ships are moving away from each other at a certain speed. However, it is important to note that the magnitude of relative velocity is always positive, as it is the difference between the velocities of the two objects.