Calculating Relative Velocity for a Swimmer Training in a River

In summary, a swimmer is training in a river with a current of 1.99 m/s. The swimmer swims upstream a distance of 153 m before returning to the starting point. With a total time of 192 s, the swimmer's speed relative to the water is 2.94 m/s.
percy_07
A swimmer is training in a river. The current flows at 1.99 metres per second and the swimmer swims upstream a distance of 153 metres before swimming back to the starting point. If the total time for the swim is 192.0 seconds, what is the swimmer's speed relative to the water?

I've been stuck on this question for a while now just can't seem to get it out? Tried rearranging equations but still can't get to the answer of 2.94 m/s?

Any help would be greatly appreciated thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work, please.

ehild

ok,

Current = 1.99 m/s
Total time = 192 s
Total distance traveled = (2x153) = 306 m

I've used the total time taken taken (192s) to be equal to the formula for the time taken upstream and downstream which looked like this.

192 = (153/ (x + (-1.99)) + (153/(x + 1.99)

rearranging and multiply out I've got down to

192 = 306x / x^2 - 3.9601

not sure how to solve for x any help??

percy_07 said:
ok,

Current = 1.99 m/s
Total time = 192 s
Total distance traveled = (2x153) = 306 m

I've used the total time taken taken (192s) to be equal to the formula for the time taken upstream and downstream which looked like this.

192 = (153/ (x + (-1.99)) + (153/(x + 1.99)

So far so good.

That's not right. Try again, you'll end up with a standard quadratic equation. Tip: multiply each fraction by the denominator of the other fraction to obtain a common denominator.

That is what i had done cross multiplied to get that equation?

Is the denominator then added to get 2x^2-7.9202 I'm oblivious of where to go from hear very lost atm?

i really need some clarification on this question it is doing my head in why i can't work it out, there is something that i am not taking into consideration but i don't know what it is please some help is required!

percy_07 said:

Did you mean

[tex]192=\frac{306x}{x^2-3.9601}[/tex]

? Then do not forget the parantheses: 192 = 306x / (x^2 - 3.9601).
Multiply the equation with the denominator, do the multiplication, arrange the equation so all terms are at one side, solve the quadratic equation.

ehild

thanks for the help i resolved the question today what a relief

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It is the difference in velocity between the two objects.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity can be calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of the other object. This can be done in one, two, or three dimensions.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed point, while relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another moving object.

4. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This indicates that the two objects are moving in opposite directions.

5. How does relative velocity affect collisions between objects?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of collisions between objects. The relative velocity of the objects before the collision will determine the amount of energy transferred and the direction of the resulting velocities.