Relative Velocity: Solving Airplane Vector Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the new velocity of a plane after entering a region with a 100mph wind blowing at an angle of 30 degrees north of east. The plane has an initial velocity of 300mph going east. The procedure to find the new velocity involves breaking down the vectors into their north and east components and adding them together to get the resultant velocity.
psuedomonas
I just found this site, AWESOME.

Im having a problem this problem dealing with vectors:

An airplane has a veloctiy of 300mph going North of East, and the wind is blowing eastward at a velocity of 100mph at an angle of 45 degrees from east, what is the plane's new velocity?

is V naught= to 300(cos45) ? (the new velocity?)

Because using relative velocity addition is not coming up with the right answer, 300 is obviously the hypotenuse of this R triangle, I am stuck. I know the answer (360mph) I don't know how to work the problem to get the correct answer! Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
psuedomonas said:
I just found this site, AWESOME.

Im having a problem this problem dealing with vectors:

An airplane has a veloctiy of 300mph going North of East, and the wind is blowing eastward at a velocity of 100mph at an angle of 45 degrees from east, what is the plane's new velocity?

I think we need some more information here. How much north of east is the plane flying. In other words, at what angle with respect to the east axis is the plane flying and is the wind at 45 degrees north of east or south of east?

As a general procedure though, break the planes velocity into its north and east components, break the winds velocity into its north and east components, add these components to get the resultant vector.

If the plane is flying at angle A with respect to the East axis, then the north component of the plane's velocity is n = 300sinA, and the east component of the plane's velocity would be e = 300cosA. You can apply the same procedure to the wind's velocity.

Sorry, I think I was over-anxious to get helped and misworded the question:

Plane moving initially at 300mph due East enters region where wind blowing 100mph in a direction 30 degrees North of East. What is new velocity of plane relative to the ground.

Sorry, boy...I really did a job on this question on my first post. :yuck:

The procedure is the same. Since the plane is flying directly east, its northern velocity component is 0. You need to resolve the wind's velocity into northern and eastern components and then add the plane's and the wind's velocity vector to get the resultant velocity. Find the magnitude of this vector and you have your answer.

1. What is relative velocity and how does it apply to airplanes?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the velocity of an object in relation to another object. In the case of airplanes, it refers to the speed and direction of the airplane in relation to the ground or to another object in motion, such as another airplane.

2. Why is it important to understand relative velocity when solving airplane vector problems?

Understanding relative velocity is crucial when solving airplane vector problems because it allows us to accurately calculate the speed and direction of the airplane in relation to the ground or other objects, which is essential for safe and efficient flight.

3. How do you calculate relative velocity in airplane vector problems?

To calculate relative velocity in airplane vector problems, we use the principles of vector addition and subtraction. We break down the velocities of the airplane and the wind into their respective components (horizontal and vertical), add or subtract them accordingly, and then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the resulting velocity.

4. What are some common misconceptions about relative velocity in airplane vector problems?

One common misconception is that the direction of the airplane's velocity is the same as the direction of the wind. In reality, the direction of the airplane's velocity is determined by the combination of its own speed and the wind's speed and direction.

5. How can understanding relative velocity help improve airplane navigation?

By understanding relative velocity, pilots can make more accurate and precise navigation decisions, especially when dealing with changing wind speeds and directions. This can lead to more efficient flight routes and better fuel management, resulting in cost savings and reduced travel time.