Solving Relative Velocity Problems: 346 vs 350

In summary, relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object, taking into account the velocity and direction of both objects. To solve relative velocity problems, you can use the formula Vr = Va + Vb or use trigonometry and diagrams to visualize the problem. The order of numbers in "346 vs 350" and "350 vs 346" affects how the formula is used. Relative velocity can be negative when objects are moving in opposite directions or at different speeds. It has real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation, to calculate airplane and rocket velocity, determine collision speeds, and track celestial body movement.
ThomasMagnus
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ThomasMagnus said:

Homework Statement

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w282/jasonselinger/1234.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer 346, the real answer was 350. Did they just round up?

They rounded up a little, but your answer's not really correct.

[tex]|v| = \sqrt((300+60cos40)^2+(60 sin40)^2)[/tex]

33333-1.jpg

This is the way I did it this time. I got 348. Does that seem correct?

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the velocity of both objects and their direction of motion.

How do I solve relative velocity problems?

To solve relative velocity problems, you can use the formula Vr = Va + Vb, where Vr is the relative velocity, Va is the velocity of object A, and Vb is the velocity of object B. You can also draw a diagram to visualize the problem and use trigonometry to find the relative velocity.

What is the difference between "346 vs 350" and "350 vs 346" in relative velocity problems?

The order of the numbers in "346 vs 350" and "350 vs 346" refers to the order in which the velocities of the objects are given. In "346 vs 350", 346 is the velocity of object A and 350 is the velocity of object B, while in "350 vs 346", 350 is the velocity of object A and 346 is the velocity of object B. This difference can affect how you use the formula to solve the problem.

Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This happens when the objects are moving in opposite directions, or when one object is moving faster than the other in the same direction.

What are some real-life applications of relative velocity?

Relative velocity is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate the velocity of airplanes and rockets, to determine the speed of objects in collisions, and to track the movement of celestial bodies in space.