1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative velocity

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ball 1 is dropped from rest at a height of 10m above the ground. at the same time, ball 2 is thrown straight upward from ground level with an initial speed of 10m/s.

2. Relevant equations

find the relative velocity of the balls when they pass each other at t=1 second?

equation given, relative velocity ==> v12= lv2-v1l

vf=vi+at

3. The attempt at a solution

since ball1 is falling, in respect to earth, the acceleration is possitive thus, v1f=v1i+at equals, vf= 0+9.8m/s^2 *1s

vf= 9.8 m/s

for ball 2 the ball is thrown upwards, thus being in a negative acceleration in respect to earth thus,

v2F=v2i+a*t
    V2f= 10m/s+ (-9.8m/s^2)(1s)

v2f= 0.2

now, lV2-V1l = 9.6m/s

now, the correct answer is 10m/s

and i wonder how come and why??

could it be that in respect to each other, their acceleration is negative? thus, resulting in

v1=-9.8
    v2=0.2

lv2-v1l = l0.2+9.8l = 10m/s?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2013 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember that the balls are traveling in opposite directions so the velocities have opposite signs.

4. Feb 23, 2013 #3
    so if i initially calculated that v1= 9.8 and v2= 0.2 their opposite signs would be -9.8 and -0.2 and when applied to the equation lv2-v1l = l -0.2+ 9.8l is still 9.6 m/s :-/

and for some reason the professor uses, v(f) = vi-gt

why is he subtracting gravitational force * time???????? shouldnt it be adding

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. Feb 23, 2013 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You misinterpreted my above statement. If one ball is moving down and the other ball moves up then, v_up will have the opposite sign of v_down. Which one is positive and which is negative will depend on your choice of coordinate system.

Your professor is probably using a convention where g is always positive. So, he changes the sign in the equations when necessary instead of the sign of g itself.

Also, note that g is the acceleration due to gravity, not the force of gravity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook