1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative velocity

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Particles ##a## and ##b## move in opposite directions around a circle with angular speed ##ω##. At ##t = 0## they are both at the point ##\vec{r} = l \hat{\jmath}## where ##l## the radius of the circle.

Find the velocity of ##a## relative to ##b##

2. Relevant equations

$$\hat{\theta} = -\hat{\imath} \sin{\theta} + \hat{\jmath} \cos{\theta}$$
    $$\vec{v}_{a/b} = \vec{v}_{a/O} - \vec{v}_{b/O}$$
    $$\theta = \theta_0 + \dot{\theta}t$$
    $$\vec{v} = \dot{\theta} r \hat{\theta}$$

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I found the tangential unit vector as a function of time for each of the particles, setting the initial angle to ##\frac{\pi}{2}## for both ##a## and ##b##. Also, according to the diagram shown in the source, ##a## is moving clockwise (towards the ##\hat{\imath}## unit vector) and ##b## is moving anticlockwise; so I set ##\dot{\theta}## equal to ##\omega## for ##b## and ##-\omega## for ##a##.
    I then found the tangential velocities of both ##a## and ##b##, setting ##r## equal to ##l## for both. After doing the math and cleaning up the vector components using trigonometric identities, I got:

$$\vec{v}_{a/b} = 2l\omega \cos{\omega t} \hat{\imath}$$

I have no answer booklet though, so I don't know whether that's correct. Did I get it right, or did I go wrong somewhere?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Correct.

4. Mar 1, 2015 #3
    Are you supposed to find their relative velocities as a function of time, or are you just supposed to find it at t = 0?

Chet

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4
    I wasn't sure, so I figured writing the velocity of ##a## relative to ##b## as a function of time would be better, since I could just set ##t## equal to zero and get the initial relative velocity (##2l\omega \hat{\imath}##).

6. Mar 1, 2015 #5
    Nice job.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted