Can You Move Faster Than Light Relative to Another Object?

• Thread starter Moldj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: It is true that in special relativity a "proper motion" is one that is measured by an observer to be greater than the true speed, but this is not what we are talking about here.thanks for the answer :). it's still confusing to me but i will google it and hopefully i will understand :)In summary, you can see another person approaching you at a faster-than-light speed, but they would only appear to be approaching you at a slower-than-light speed to you.
Moldj
hey. it's my very first post in here.
i couldn't find any answer to my question so i decided to post it here
so my question is:

if someone moves towards the moon at 51% the speed of light ( relative to moon (or earth)) and another person on moon moved towards the Earth at 51 % the speed of light (relative to moon (or earth)) then they must be moving at 102 % the speed of light towards each other. no?

so basically if i go near the speed of light in one direction and something else was going near the speed of light in the exact opposite direction and we passed each other what would we see? or feel?

tnx :) (not sure if i posted it in the right place. and also not sure which prefix i should choose)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. From the point of view of a 3rd observer between the two, they have an approach speed to each other greater than c, but this is not a proper motion. In THEIR frames, which is what counts as proper motion, they each see the other as moving at less than c. Google "relativistic velocity addition" for the formula, or do a forum search since this question is answered here with great regularity.

EDIT: I tend to forget how confusing this can be at first, so let me expand on it just slightly.

Where ever I happen to be, if I see you coming at me at .51c from one direction and I see John coming at me at .51c from the other direction, then I can compute the time when you guys will pass each other based on a merge speed of 1.02c. But this is not proper motion. What YOU see is me coming at you at .51c and John coming at you at something like .99c (again, Google for the formula and its derivation).

Last edited:
Likes Moldj
phinds said:
No. From the point of view of a 3rd observer between the two, they have an approach speed to each other greater than c, but this is not a proper motion. In THEIR frames, which is what counts as proper motion, they each see the other as moving at less than c. Google "relativistic velocity addition" for the formula, or do a forum search since this question is answered here with great regularity.

EDIT: I tend to forget how confusing this can be at first, so let me expand on it just slightly.

Where ever I happen to be, if I see you coming at me at .51c from one direction and I see John coming at me at .51c from the other direction, then I can compute the time when you guys will pass each other based on a merge speed of 1.02c. But this is not proper motion. What YOU see is me coming at you at .51c and John coming at you at something like .99c (again, Google for the formula and its derivation).

thanks for the answer :). it's still confusing to me but i will google it and hopefully i will understand :)

Last edited:
Hi Moldj, welcome to physicsforums! :smile:

As the max. speed is c, the maximum speed difference between two entities (also called relative speed) is 2c in general. However if you assume to be in rest so that your speed is 0, then that difference cannot be more than c.
See also this recent post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...trains-speed-relative-to.828679/#post-5205138

And here's an old thread in which your question was answered with more elaboration:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/faster-than-light-question.39886/

Combining speeds as "u+ v" is Gallilean relativity, not Einsteinian. In Einstein's theory of relativity, if person A is moving toward you at speed v and person B is moving toward you from exactly the opposite direction, then A and B each see the other coming toward them at speed [itex]\frac{u+ v}{1+ \frac{uv}{c^2}}[/itex]. In particular, if u and v are both 0.51c then they each see the other coming toward them with speed [itex]\frac{1.2c}{1.26}= 0.95c[/itex] which is still less than c.

thank you all for your answers. very helpful

however i can't visually understand it yet :)

harrylin said:
Hi Moldj, welcome to physicsforums! :smile:

As the max. speed is c, the maximum speed difference between two entities (also called relative speed) is 2c in general. However if you assume to be in rest so that your speed is 0, then that difference cannot be more than c.
See also this recent post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...trains-speed-relative-to.828679/#post-5205138

And here's an old thread in which your question was answered with more elaboration:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/faster-than-light-question.39886/
I don't doubt some books call closing speed relative speed, but it is very non-standard, confusing, terminology nowadays. Relative speed in modern usage refers specifically, as the name implies, to the speed of one body relative to another - i.e. as each 'body' would measure the other's speed. Other speeds are closing or separation speed (for diference in speed of two objects in a given coordinate system), and celerity for distance measured by one observer divided by proper time of a moving body. In SR, in standard coordinates, separation/closing speed is up to 2c, celerity has no upper bound, while relative speed is < c for bodies with mass and c between a body with mass and light or any massless particle. Relative velocity is not really defined between two light signals; celerity is not defined at all for light. However, closing/separation speed is well defined between light signals.

Likes vanhees71
PAllen said:
I don't doubt some books call closing speed relative speed, but it is very non-standard, confusing, terminology nowadays. Relative speed in modern usage refers specifically, as the name implies, to the speed of one body relative to another - i.e. as each 'body' would measure the other's speed.[..]
It's also a source of confusion to propose that any arbitrary body or particle constitutes a valid or usable reference system for measurements in SR; evidently we come from different schools! and in this thread as well as in other recent threads we use "speed difference" to avoid misunderstandings, as I even emphasized here. :smile:

Hi Moldj, welcome to PF Forum,
Moldj said:
thank you all for your answers. very helpful

however i can't visually understand it yet :)
Okay, can you visualize this?
A rocket travels 51%c relative to the earth. And while it travels, the rocket fires a missile 51%c relative to the rocket. So the missle travels... (as HallsOfIvy says) 95% c relative to earth?
Perhaps if you can visualize that, it would be easier to visualize your original question.
Try to rearrange your question as this.
Moldj said:
[..]
if someone moves towards the moon at 51% the speed of light relative to moon
if moon moves towards the Earth at 51% the speed of light relative to the earth

and another person on moon moved towards the Earth at 51 % the speed of light (relative to moon (or earth))
and another person on moon moved towards the Earth at 51 % the speed of light relative to the moon, which already moves toward the Earth at 51% the speed of light

then they must be moving at 102 % the speed of light towards each other. no?

so basically if i go near the speed of light in one direction and something else was going near the speed of light in the exact opposite direction and we passed each other what would we see? or feel?

tnx :) (not sure if i posted it in the right place. and also not sure which prefix i should choose)
So the velocity of that person toward Earth is 95% relative to the speed of light. You can think of the moon as the rocket which fires a missile (the person) toward the earth.
And frankly I haven't calculated u+v/(1+uv), as HallsOfIvy writes, but his/her velocity addition formula is correct.
Hope this will help.

harrylin said:
It's also a source of confusion to propose that any arbitrary body or particle constitutes a valid or usable reference system for measurements in SR; evidently we come from different schools! and in this thread as well as in other recent threads we use "speed difference" to avoid misunderstandings, as I even emphasized here. :smile:
The point is that relative speed is a coordinate invariant quantity in the language of 4 vectors. All other type of speed (coordinate speed, closing speed, celerity) are coordinate dependent. In 4-vectors, the scalar product of two 4-velocities is gamma of the relative speed. Thus, even evaluated in coordinates adapted to a spinning, accelerating rocket, it comes at the same as computed in the rest frame of one of the bodies. IMO, it is very important to use relative velocity only this sense. Of course, the coordinate independent computation is defined such that it is always the same as the coordinate speed in standard coordinates such that one of the bodies is at rest. Using it to mean a speed difference in some generic frame is inconsistent with modern usage. That is a closing or separation speed (or a speed difference, if you prefer), but NOT a relative speed.

Just to be clear, this is the only part of what you said that I object to:

"the maximum speed difference between two entities (also called relative speed) is 2c in general."

NOT also called relative speed, without causing great confusion.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. Can an object move faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. This means that no object can move faster than the speed of light relative to another object.

2. Is there a way to travel faster than light?

Currently, there is no known way to travel faster than the speed of light. While there have been theories and proposals for concepts such as warp drive and wormholes, there is no solid scientific evidence to support their feasibility.

3. What happens if an object exceeds the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, an object cannot exceed the speed of light. If it were to somehow reach this speed, it would require an infinite amount of energy and would also experience infinite mass. This is not possible according to our current understanding of physics.

4. Can something travel at the speed of light relative to another object?

No, the speed of light is constant and the same for all observers. This means that no matter how fast an object is moving relative to another, it will always measure the speed of light as the same value.

5. How does the speed of light affect time and space?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is a fundamental constant that affects the fabric of space and time. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down and space contracts, in what is known as time dilation and length contraction. This is a fundamental aspect of our universe and has been confirmed through various experiments and observations.