1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relatively open sets

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f be a continuous real-valued function of R^n. Show that [(x,y): x \in R^n, y > f(x)] is an open subset of R^{n+1}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If I am thinking about this right... Since f(x) goes from (-oo, y), this is an open subset, and as f is continuous, the domain of f(x) must be open, so x\in U is open.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2
    I don't know if it is just me but I am having a hard time understanding what is going on in your set.

As for functions on open sets, perhaps you may want to consult the different definitions of a continuous function (besides the traditional episilon delta defn).
  4. Nov 16, 2008 #3
  5. Nov 16, 2008 #4
    What is the complement of this set?
  6. Nov 16, 2008 #5
    Would the complement be as all the x are open, then the complement would be closed. Then the complement of the y would be y <= f(x), and as both of these are closed, then in R^{n+1} they would be closed. Thus as the complement is closed, it must be open?

I guess one problem I am having is the y term. Are the f(x) chosen so that it is less than y? Thus y is one point. Or is it given an f(x), the y's go from (f(x), oo).
  7. Nov 16, 2008 #6
    It looks like y is chosen so it is less than f(x) for all f(x) in your range.
    If you can show that the complement is closed then you are done.
  8. Nov 16, 2008 #7
    I know if I show the complement is closed then it is open, but is there any reasonable way to show that the complement for this set is closed?
  9. Nov 16, 2008 #8
  10. Nov 17, 2008 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?