1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relatively simple friction problem

1. Apr 3, 2005 #1
    Ok, I've done an experiment in which the coefficient of kinetic friction was measured by measuring the acceleration of an object moving down an incline. The mathematical relationship is: a=gsin(theta)-ukgcos(theta)

The question is that I found a slight increase in uk as the incline angle increased. And I don't know how to explain this. I was thinking that since the net force and acceleration are directly related, an increase in net force will see an increase in kinetic friction, since friction acts due to the net force.

Can anyone confirm or deny what I have said??
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2005 #2
    The friction force should increase as the slope gets flatter. This is because at a much smaller incline, the normal force on the object has a much larger component of gravity bearing on it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?