Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Relatively) Trivial question about extension field degrees (pertains to Galois theor

1. May 7, 2012 #1
    So if we have an extension of E of F, then we can consider E as a vector space over F.
    The dimension of this space is the degree of the field extension, I think most people use [E:F].
    This is correct in most people's books, right?

Defining [itex] \omega = cos (2\pi /7) + i sin (2\pi / 7) [/itex]

Why is it that:
    "Since [itex] x^7 -1 = (x-1)(x^6+x^5+x^4+x^3+x^2+x+1) [/itex],
    |Gal(Q(ω)/Q)|=[Q(ω):Q]≤ 6"
    ?
    With another piece of information he gets that the degree is 6. Since the vector space of Q(ω) over Q has degree 6, we should be able to represent it with 6 basis vectors...but this just feels weird since ω is a seventh root of unity and it feels like we should have something like:
    a+bω+cω2+...gω6 a,b,...,g in Q, right?

What am I missing? I have no reason to doubt Gallian, I even looked up the general method for calculating degrees of Q(n-th roots of unity)/Q and I know that 6 is correct. . .I just don't see why and I can't construct 6 basis vectors.

[This is from Gallian's Abstract Algebra book, 7th edition, in Ch. 32 on page 550]

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2012 #2
    Re: (Relatively) Trivial question about extension field degrees (pertains to Galois t

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook