Finding Relevant Velocities in Counter-Propagating Colliding Beams

In summary, the question asks for the relevant velocity (v2_rel) in an accelerator using two counter-propagating colliding beams of particles of equal energy. However, the relevant velocity (v2) is not equal to the velocity relative to the target at rest (v2_rel). The reference frame used is not specified, making it difficult to solve for v2_rel. More information is needed to determine the relationship between v2 and v2_rel.
Rory9

Homework Statement

In a conventional accelerator, the energy of the particles bombarding the target at rest is connected to their velocity by the relativistic formula where the relevant velocity of the bombarding particles v1 is the velocity relative to the target at rest, v1 = v1_rel. In an accelerator using two counter-propagating colliding beams of particles of equal energy, the energy of each beam is given by the same relativistic formula but the relevant velocity v2 [tex]\neq[/tex] v2_rel. Determine v2_rel, stating the reference frame you are using.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not seeing something here. If I'm interpreting the question correctly, by 'relevant velocity' I presume it just means the velocity that was used to calculate the energy, which in the case of the first beam was the velocity of the beam relative to the target, but in the case of the second was not (?). So am I to take it that the energies have been calculated in different frames of ref, and happened to be equal on comparison? If so, not knowing what frame of reference was used to determine the second energy, I don't see that I can connect v2 and v2_rel, at the moment...

This is irritating me, as I'm sure the answer is simple, but I may not be interpreting the question correctly! Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rory9 said:
In a conventional accelerator, the energy of the particles bombarding the target at rest is connected to their velocity by the relativistic formula where the relevant velocity of the bombarding particles v1 is the velocity relative to the target at rest, v1 = v1_rel. In an accelerator using two counter-propagating colliding beams of particles of equal energy, the energy of each beam is given by the same relativistic formula but the relevant velocity v2 [tex]\neq[/tex] v2_rel. Determine v2_rel, stating the reference frame you are using.
I don't understand the question. I don't think you are given enough information. What is the definition of v2? What is the definition of v2_rel?

1. What is a relativistic accelerator?

A relativistic accelerator is a type of particle accelerator that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles to very high speeds, close to the speed of light. This allows scientists to study the behavior of particles and the fundamental laws of physics at extremely high energies.

2. How does a relativistic accelerator work?

A relativistic accelerator uses a series of electric and magnetic fields to accelerate particles in a vacuum chamber. These particles are then directed towards a target, where they collide with other particles or nuclei, creating new particles and energy that can be studied by scientists.

3. What are some applications of relativistic accelerators?

Relativistic accelerators have many practical applications, including medical treatments such as cancer therapy, industrial processes like sterilization and food preservation, and in scientific research to study the properties of matter and the universe.

4. What is the difference between a linear and circular relativistic accelerator?

A linear relativistic accelerator, also known as a linear accelerator or linac, accelerates particles in a straight line. A circular relativistic accelerator, also known as a cyclotron or synchrotron, accelerates particles in a circular path using strong magnetic fields to keep them in orbit.

5. Are there any risks associated with using relativistic accelerators?

There are some safety concerns associated with relativistic accelerators, as they produce high-energy radiation that can be harmful to human health. However, strict safety protocols and shielding measures are in place to protect workers and the public from potential radiation exposure.