Relativistic addition question

In summary, to find A's speed relative to B when they are moving away from a stationary point O and each other at relativistic speeds, the relativistic addition formula can be used. If they are moving at a 60 degree angle from each other and their speeds relative to O are known, there are two methods that can be used: rotating the coordinate system and using velocity transformation equations, or using four-velocities to solve for the relative speed. The previous suggestion of separating B's velocity vector into components is not viable due to the different time-coordinates and the fact that something moving in the perpendicular direction in A's system will be moving diagonally in O's.
pigasuspig
I understand that, given objects A and B moving away from a stationary point O and each other at relativistic speeds, you use the relativistic addition formula to find A's speed relative to B.

How would you find A's speed relative to B if A and B are moving away from O at a 60 degree angle from each other, and you know their speeds relative to O?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the velocity vector of B in A's frame and separate it into components--one component parallel to the direction that A is moving relative to O, and another component perpendicular to that direction. The magnitude of the perpendicular component will be the same in O's frame as it is in A's; and for the parallel component, just use the formula for addition of relativistic velocities to find its magnitude in O's frame.

edit: never mind, this answer is wrong, see learningphysics' answer below.

Last edited:
There are two ways I can think of to find A's speed relative to B:

1) Rotate your coordinate system so that the x-axis is aligned along B's path...

then first calculate [tex]u_x[/tex] and [tex]u_y[/tex] for particle A using trigonometry. [tex]u_x = u_a*cos(60)[/tex] [tex]u_y = u_a*sin(60)[/tex]

Then use the velocity transformation equations for [tex]u_x[/tex] and [tex]u_y[/tex] to get [tex]u_x'[/tex] and [tex]u_y'[/tex] which are the components of A's velocity in B's rest frame.

[tex]u_x' = \frac{u_x - v}{1-u_x*v/c^2}[/tex] (the usual velocity addition equation)
[tex]u_y' = \frac{u_y}{\gamma*(1-u_x*v/c^2)}[/tex]

Here v is B's speed.

Then use the pythagorean theorem to get the magnitude of the speed.

2) If you've studied four tensors then there is a more elegant method. The product of the two four-velocities [tex]U_a \cdot U_b[/tex] is an invariant that equals [tex]c^2 * \gamma (u) [/tex] where [tex]u[/tex] is the relative speed (speed of B relative to A, or speed of A relative to B). I'm taking this argument is from "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Rindler p. 60. So if you calculate [tex]U_a \cdot U_b[/tex] using the 60 degree angle you're given... then you can solve for [tex]\gamma (u)[/tex] and then solve for u.

JesseM said:
Look at the velocity vector of B in A's frame and separate it into components--one component parallel to the direction that A is moving relative to O, and another component perpendicular to that direction. The magnitude of the perpendicular component will be the same in O's frame as it is in A's; and for the parallel component, just use the formula for addition of relativistic velocities to find its magnitude in O's frame.

JesseM, the perpendicular component isn't the same.

learningphysics said:
JesseM, the perpendicular component isn't the same.
Ah, you're right, I didn't think that through very well--I was thinking that since the y and z coordinate are the same in both A and O's coordinate system that would mean the velocity is the same, but that doesn't take into account the different time-coordinates, not to mention the fact that something moving in the perpendicular direction in A's system will be moving diagonally in O's.

JesseM said:
Ah, you're right, I didn't think that through very well--I was thinking that since the y and z coordinate are the same in both A and O's coordinate system that would mean the velocity is the same, but that doesn't take into account the different time-coordinates, not to mention the fact that something moving in the perpendicular direction in A's system will be moving diagonally in O's.

It's cool. :wink: I've been working through Rindler's Intro to Spec. Relativity, as we speak, so the formula is kind of fresh in my head.

What is relativistic addition?

Relativistic addition is a mathematical formula used to calculate the combined velocity of two objects moving at high speeds relative to each other. It takes into account the principles of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

How is relativistic addition different from classical addition?

Unlike classical addition, which simply adds the velocities of two objects, relativistic addition takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds. This results in a different calculation for the combined velocity, which becomes significant at speeds close to the speed of light.

What is the formula for relativistic addition?

The formula for relativistic addition is v = (u + v) / (1 + u*v/c^2), where v is the combined velocity, u is the velocity of the first object, v is the velocity of the second object, and c is the speed of light.

What are some applications of relativistic addition?

Relativistic addition is used in various branches of physics, including astrophysics, particle physics, and nuclear physics. It is also important in the development of technologies such as GPS, which relies on precise calculations of relative velocities.

What are the limitations of relativistic addition?

Relativistic addition is only applicable to objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light. At lower speeds, the effects of relativity are negligible and classical addition can be used instead. Additionally, the formula assumes the objects are moving in a straight line and does not take into account factors such as acceleration or forces acting on the objects.