What Happens When a Spherical Square Well Approaches 2mc2?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a Dirac particle in an attractive spherical square well. The person has solved for the energy and found the normalized wave function, but is now struggling to explain the behavior when the well's depth approaches 2mc2. They are trying to get the values in a specific table but are unsure how to do so. Plugging in V0=2mc2 does not provide any significant insights. They are seeking assistance to find another consequence of the well depth approaching 2mc2.
sean_mp

Homework Statement

I'm dealing with a dirac particle in an attractive spherical square well. I've solved for the transcendental equation to find energy, found the normalized wave function, and now I'm trying to explain what happens when the well becomes very deep, when V0 ≥ 2mc2. If I plug V0=2mc2 into my equations, nothing dramatic really sticks out. I have the same equation as Greiner on page 220, Eq.(27).

Homework Equations

I'm trying to get the values in the left hand side of table 9.2 on page 222 (V0(κ=-1)), but I'm not sure how to go about it. If I can't solve for this, I need to come up with another consequence of the well depth approaching 2mc2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Greiner 220-223.pdf
    622.1 KB · Views: 240
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried plugging in V0=2mc2 into Eq.(27), but this doesn't really seem to get me anywhere. I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. What are relativistic bound states?

Relativistic bound states are systems in which two or more particles are bound together by the strong nuclear force and are moving at relativistic speeds, meaning speeds close to the speed of light.

2. What is the significance of studying relativistic bound states?

Studying relativistic bound states allows us to better understand the fundamental interactions between particles and the nature of the strong nuclear force. It also has practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics and astrophysics.

3. How are relativistic bound states different from non-relativistic bound states?

Relativistic bound states have significantly higher energies and shorter lifetimes compared to non-relativistic bound states. This is due to the fact that the particles are moving at high speeds and their interactions are affected by special relativity.

4. What techniques are used to study relativistic bound states?

Some common techniques used to study relativistic bound states include particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to high speeds and their interactions are observed, and theoretical models such as the quantum field theory.

5. What are some real-life examples of relativistic bound states?

Some examples of relativistic bound states include protons and neutrons bound together in atomic nuclei, quarks bound together to form protons and neutrons, and unstable subatomic particles such as mesons and baryons.