1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Relativistic collison problem

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A stationary particle of rest mass [tex]2m_{0}[/tex] is hit by a particle of rest mass [tex]m_{0}[/tex] and kinetic energy [tex]2m_{0} c^{2}[/tex]. I must find the rest mass of the composite particle afterward.

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of momentum and energy.

3. The attempt at a solution

I worked problems with identical mass and velocity, but I don't exactly know what to do with this particular problem. I'm still having trouble understanding the explanation my book provided, so I was hoping someone can give me a more lucid elaboration of this whole phenomenon.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2
    This is what I have so far.

[tex]m_{0} \gamma (u) u = M_{0} q \gamma(q)[/tex]

[tex]m_{0} \gamma (u) + 2m_{0} = M_{0} \gamma (q)[/tex]

[tex]M_{0}[/tex] is the rest mass of the composite particle, [tex]q[/tex] its velocity, and [tex]u[/tex] the velocity of the inertial particle before it strikes the stationary one.

The problem is the ratio [tex]\frac{M_{0}}{m_{0}}[/tex], which is what I need, is eliminated.

I don't know where to proceed from here.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook