Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic correction of Schrödinger equation

1. Mar 15, 2015 #1
    Hello there,

I've been given the relativistic correction of the Schrödinger equation for a free particle:

$$
    - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial ^2\Psi}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\hbar^4}{8m^3c^2} \frac{\partial ^4\Psi}{\partial x^4} + E_0 \Psi = i \hbar \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}
    $$

How we derived this correction is not important. It is important to note that ##E_0 = mc^2##. I am asked to prove that ##\Psi(x,t) = e^{i(kx-\omega t)}## with ##k = (2mE)^{1/2}/ \hbar## is a solution. We have also been given that this is the same ##\Psi## as is the solution of the ordinary Schrödinger equation for free particle

The problem is that I think I can prove that this is not a solution, which is controversial, because it contradicts what my professor is asking. I want to show you my proof before I present it to him, in case I made some silly mistake. Can you please scrutinize it?

We assume for contradiction that ##\Psi(x,t) = e^{i(kx-\omega t)}## is a solution. We try by inserting ##\Psi## into the equation. We get:
    $$
    \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} \Psi - \frac{\hbar^4k^4}{8m^3c^2} \Psi + E_0\Psi = \hbar \omega \Psi.
    $$
    Since ##k = (2mE)^{1/2}/ \hbar##, that implies ##E = \hbar^2 k^2/(2m)## which by using de Broglie identity ##E=\hbar \omega## we deduce that ##\hbar^2 k^2/(2m)##. Inserting this into the above equation, we obtain
    $$
    \hbar \omega \Psi - \frac{\hbar^2 \omega^2}{2mc^2} \Psi + E_0\Psi = \hbar \omega \Psi \implies \frac{\hbar^2 \omega^2}{2mc^2} \Psi = mc^2 \Psi \implies E^2 = 2 (mc^2)^2 = 2 E_0^2
    $$
    That means for all free particles which are described by ##\Psi## we have:
    $$
    2^{1/2} = \frac{E}{E_0} = \gamma,
    $$
    which means that ##\gamma## is equal to root two, a constant, which is impossibly correct for all free particles described by ##\Psi##.

Are you able to find mistakes in the above which destroys the argument? What are your views? Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
    Marius

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I'm suspicious of this, because it's based on the non-relativistic relationship between momentum and kinetic energy.

4. Mar 15, 2015 #3
    Hello jtbell, thanks for your response. Are you able to define the word «suspicious»?

Thank you for your time

5. Mar 15, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm suspicious of the E=hbar omega part.

6. Mar 16, 2015 #5
    Hello Marius,

I'm also suspicious that ##k = (2mE)^{1/2}/ \hbar## is a solution.

If I've figured correctly, the Fourier transform of your given equation is ##\frac{\hbar^4}{8m^3c^2}k^4 - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}k^2 - E_0 = -\hbar \omega##

Doesn't a solution need an ##\omega## term also?

7. Mar 16, 2015 #6
    Thanks guys. It is obviously non-relativistic. But that doesn't matter. Why? The expression I used for ##k## is given to me implicitly by my professor, so the mistake is on his behalf (phew). So it doesn't matter. I will present this proof to him after I have worked out what he is really after. Meanwhile, I will have to find another interpretation of the assignment. Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  8. Mar 16, 2015 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

One thing you can do is to apply the second term as a (1st order) perturbation on the Hamiltonian and then use perturbation theory to work everything out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook