Relativistic De Broglie wavelength

In summary, the De Broglie wavelength of 1.0-TeV protons accelerated at the Fermilab Tevatron accelerator can be calculated using the relativistic formula λ = h /(mv*gamma), where p=mv, and considering potential simplification. Using the equations p = h / lambda and E^2 = ( p * c )^2 + ( m c^2 )^2, the De Broglie wavelength can be determined.
mramsey

Homework Statement

De Broglie wavelength

What is the De Broglie wavelength of the 1.0-TeV (1TeV=1012eV)
protons (mpc2=938.3MeV) accelerated at the Fermilab Tevatron
accelerator? These high-energy protons are needed to probe
elementary particles [Hint: You need to use relativistic formula, but
consider potential simplification].

Homework Equations

λ = h / p
p=mv
λ = h /(mv*gamma)
hc = 1240 eV

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the relativistic form i then squared both sides to get λ2 = (h2 /(mv)2)(1-v2/c2)From there i multiplied the two and multiplied by c2/c2 to get λ2 = (hc)2 /((mv2)(mc2)) - (hc)2 /((mc2)2)

I got stuck after that and not sure if i am doing it right i was thinking the mv2 could be the kinetic energy after multiplying by 1/2. λ2 = (hc)2 /2(((1/2)mv2)(mc2)) - (hc)2 /((mc2)2)and that the 1TeV is Kinetic Energy but that gives a negative number

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The easy equations to use here are

p = h / lambda

and E^2 = ( p * c )^2 + ( m c^2 )^2

you're pretty much done at that point

1. What is the Relativistic De Broglie wavelength?

The Relativistic De Broglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a particle with relativistic momentum. It is a fundamental property of matter and is related to the momentum and energy of a particle.

2. How is the Relativistic De Broglie wavelength calculated?

The Relativistic De Broglie wavelength is calculated using the formula λ = h/p, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, and p is the momentum of the particle. In the case of a relativistic particle, the momentum must be calculated using the relativistic energy-momentum relation, p = E/c, where E is the energy and c is the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the Relativistic De Broglie wavelength?

The Relativistic De Broglie wavelength is significant because it is a manifestation of the wave-particle duality of matter. It shows that particles can exhibit both particle-like and wave-like properties, and that their behavior is described by a wave function.

4. How does the Relativistic De Broglie wavelength relate to the speed of light?

The Relativistic De Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the speed of light. This means that as the speed of light increases, the wavelength decreases. This is due to the fact that as a particle's speed approaches the speed of light, its momentum and energy also increase, resulting in a shorter De Broglie wavelength.

5. Can the Relativistic De Broglie wavelength be observed in real life?

Yes, the Relativistic De Broglie wavelength has been observed in various experiments involving high-energy particles, such as in particle accelerators. It is also a fundamental concept in many modern technologies, such as electron microscopy and quantum computing.