1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic decay of a particle

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Pions can decay via the reaction π+ → μ+ νμ. Show that the energy of the neu- trino in the rest frame of the pion is given by

[tex] E_v = \frac{m^2_∏-m^2_μ}{2m_∏} [/tex]

Pions with energy Eπ in the laboratory frame (Eπ >> mπc2) decay via the above reaction. Show that the maximum energy of the neutrinos in the laboratory frame is given by

[tex] E^{max}_v = E_∏\frac{m^2_∏-m^2_μ}{m^2_∏} c^2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Lorentz Transform

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}E'\\p'c\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}\gamma&\beta\gamma\\-\beta\gamma&\gamma\end{array}\right) * \left(\begin{array}{cc}E\\pc\end{array}\right) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am able to get the first result, the problem I am having is changing frames from the first result to the second result. I take the first result and use the Lorentz transform ont he energy, where prime denotes the lab frame and unprimed is the rest frame of the pion.
    this give me:

[tex] E_v' = \frac{m^2_∏-m^2_μ}{2m_∏} \gamma(1-\beta) c^2 [/tex]

i then use the fact that E'_∏ = gamma mc^2 to find gamma, giving me:

[tex] E_v' = \frac{m^2_∏-m^2_μ}{2m^2_∏} E_∏(1-\beta) c^2 [/tex]

However I have done something wrong as this means I need beta =-1 to give me the right result. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2012 #2
    You've done something wrong with your LT matrix. Both [itex]\beta \gamma[/itex] terms should have the same sign.

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3
    Ahh yes, however that was only a mistake I made when typing the problem up to pf, my calculations had both with the -ve sign to get the result below it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook