How Do You Calculate the Energies of Photons from a Decaying Meson?

In summary: The only way around this I can see then is to call what I had as p2, -p2, as I know one of the momenta has to be negative anyway, and everything should work out. However it doesn't seem like a very nice method - I'm having to play around with the symbols to make the maths work. Is there a better way to do this?There isn't a better way to do it, but you could try rewriting the equation algebraically as E1=p1x+p2corE1=p1x+(-p2c)
fayled

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I'm having a bit of trouble with solving this problem:
A ∏0 meson with rest mass m has a kinetic energy K. It decays in flight into two photons whose paths are along the direction of motion of the meson. Find the energies of the two photons.

Homework Equations

E2=p2c2+m2c4,
which for a photon reduces to
E=pc

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using 4-vectors to solve this problem.
Before the decay, the pion has the four momenta P=(E/c,p,0,0). After we have two photons with four momenta P1=(E1/c,p1,0,0) and P2=(E2/c,p2,0,0).

By conservation of momentum and energy, E1+E2=E and p1+p2=p.

I would like to take the following approach - equate the four momenta and square both sides, using the fact that the quantity E2/c2-p2 is invariant.

P=P1+P2. Squaring and using the relevant equation above gives m2c2=E1E2/c2-p1p2.

But Using the fact that E1=p1c and E2=p2c reduces the right hand side to zero, which is very wrong... I believe my problem may be with the signs of the momenta - from the centre of mass frame it is clear the photons have to travel in opposite directions. But I don't expect that I would have to account for this in my working - as for example when solving collision problems in classical mechanics using conservation of momentum, I would put all my unknown velocities in as symbols, and the maths would simply give me their direction (by the sign). Also note I can solve this is the centre of mass frame and then transform the results into the desired frame, but the fact that I can't do it directly in this frame must be a sign of misunderstanding. So can anybody help please, thankyou :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fayled said:
Squaring and using the relevant equation above gives m2c2=E1E2/c2-p1p2.

Are you sure you haven't forgotten the pion's kinetic energy?

PeroK said:
Are you sure you haven't forgotten the pion's kinetic energy?

P.P=(E/c,p,0,0).(E/c,p,0,0)=E2/c2-p2=m2c2 is how I got to that...

You've got the energy-momentum equation in your post. Rearranged it should be:

[itex]p^2 = \frac{E^2}{c^2} - m^2c^2[/itex]

If you were doing this in the pion frame, p would be 0 here. But not in the lab frame. The E here is not just mc^2 but includes the kinetic energy as well.

PeroK said:
You've got the energy-momentum equation in your post. Rearranged it should be:

[itex]p^2 = \frac{E^2}{c^2} - m^2c^2[/itex]

If you were doing this in the pion frame, p would be 0 here. But not in the lab frame. The E here is not just mc^2 but includes the kinetic energy as well.

I understand this, but I am not sure how this means my working is incorrect. I have just taken the 4-momentum inner product of each side with itself. I believe that if I do this for a single particle it should just return the mass squared x c squared, regardless of whether the particle has momentum or not, or kinetic energy or not.

fayled said:
Squaring and using the relevant equation above gives m2c2=E1E2/c2-p1p2.

I think that's correct. [Edit: On second thought, this equation needs a 2 placed in it somewhere.]

But Using the fact that E1=p1c and E2=p2c reduces the right hand side to zero, which is very wrong... I believe my problem may be with the signs of the momenta - from the centre of mass frame it is clear the photons have to travel in opposite directions. But I don't expect that I would have to account for this in my working -

Yes, you have to be careful with the signs here. Note that your p's are actually x-components of momentum px, which could have a positive or negative value. But E is always positive.

If you write E1=p1xc, then you are forcing p1x to be positive since the left side is positive.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
It looks like you've got an answer.

TSny said:
I think that's correct.
Yes, you have to be careful with the signs here. Note that your p's are actually x-components of momentum px, which could have a positive or negative value. But E is always positive.

If you write E1=p1xc, then you are forcing p1x to be positive since the left side is positive.

I was thinking that - the relation E^2=p^2c^2-m^2c^4 uses the magnitude of the momentum vector (is that right?).

The only way around this I can see then is to call what I had as p2, -p2, as I know one of the momenta has to be negative anyway, and everything should work out. However it doesn't seem like a very nice method - I'm having to play around with the symbols to make the maths work. Is there a better way to do it?

Off hand, I don't see a better way. Putting the negative sign in "by hand" doesn't seem bad to me. But someone else might chime in.

By the way, I believe that your equation m2c2=E1E2/c2-p1p2 is not quite correct after all. See if you might have dropped one or more factors of 2.

TSny said:
Off hand, I don't see a better way. Putting the negative sign in "by hand" doesn't seem bad to me. But someone else might chime in.

By the way, I believe that your equation m2c2=E1E2/c2-p1p2 is not quite correct after all. See if you might have dropped one or more factors of 2.

Ah yeah, forgot the factor of two from the square on the RHS when typing it up. Thanks for your help.

If anybody has a more elegant method please let me know - otherwise it seems the CM frame is the way to go.

I assume you're trying to get the energy of the photons in terms of the mass and KE of the pion. If γ1 is the photon in the direction of the original motion and γ2 the other then (using unsigned momenta):

[itex]p_1 - p_2 = p \ ∴ \ E_1 - E_2 = pc[/itex]

[itex]E_1 + E_2 = E[/itex]

So:

[itex]E_1 = \frac12 (E + pc) \ and \ E_2 = \frac12 (E - pc)[/itex]

And:

[itex]p^2c^2 = E^2 - m^2c^4 = m^2c^4 + 2Kmc^2 + K^2 -m^2c^4 = 2Kmc^2 + K^2 [/itex]

So:

[itex]E_{1/2} = \frac12 (mc^2 + K \pm \sqrt{2Kmc^2 + K^2} )[/itex]

PeroK said:
I assume you're trying to get the energy of the photons in terms of the mass and KE of the pion. If γ1 is the photon in the direction of the original motion and γ2 the other then (using unsigned momenta):

[itex]p_1 - p_2 = p \ ∴ \ E_1 - E_2 = pc[/itex]

[itex]E_1 + E_2 = E[/itex]

So:

[itex]E_1 = \frac12 (E + pc) \ and \ E_2 = \frac12 (E - pc)[/itex]

And:

[itex]p^2c^2 = E^2 - m^2c^4 = m^2c^4 + 2Kmc^2 + K^2 -m^2c^4 = 2Kmc^2 + K^2 [/itex]

So:

[itex]E_{1/2} = \frac12 (mc^2 + K \pm \sqrt{2Kmc^2 + K^2} )[/itex]

I think this is the method I had already mentioned, i.e calling the second momentum -p2 as opposed to p2 so that the calculations worked out, unless I'm misunderstanding something...

What do mean by 'using unsigned momenta'?

fayled said:
What do mean by 'using unsigned momenta'?

I meant take the positive value, so that p_1 and p_2 > 0. Rather than p_1 being positive and p_2 being negative.

Does anybody have any ideas on dealing with things like this:

I have a velocity in one frame which is very close to c, v, which is the CM frame, and I want to transform it into a velocity in a frame in which one of the two particles is at rest. So this would be given by u=2v/(1+v^2/c^2). But that just comes out as c on my calculator (when I need the exact number obviously), which is very annoying...

Last edited:
fayled said:
I was thinking that - the relation E^2=p^2c^2-m^2c^4 uses the magnitude of the momentum vector (is that right?).
Right. As you noted, it comes from squaring the four-vector ##p^\mu = (E, \vec{p})##. When you do that, you get
$$m^2 = E^2 - \vec{p}\cdot\vec{p} = E^2 - \lvert \vec{p} \rvert^2.$$
The only way around this I can see then is to call what I had as p2, -p2, as I know one of the momenta has to be negative anyway, and everything should work out. However it doesn't seem like a very nice method - I'm having to play around with the symbols to make the maths work. Is there a better way to do it?
As you noted, in the rest frame of the pion, the photons go off in opposite directions. There's no Lorentz boost that can change the direction of the photon from going left to going right or vice versa. You'd have to be able to outrun one of the photons to do that — that is, go to a frame that's moving faster than ##c##. So in the lab frame, you know that one photon went left and one went right.

From a math standpoint, you actually don't have ##E = pc##; you have ##E^2 = (\vec{p}c)^2## from which you can get the two solutions ##E = \lvert \pm \vec{p} c \rvert##. So you can look at it as if you're simply throwing out the solution that doesn't work rather than arbitrarily putting in a negative sign to make it work.

Usually, it's easiest to simply use ##p## to denote the magnitude of the momentum and then put in the signs as appropriate based on physical reasoning. For this problem, you could have
\begin{align*}
p_\pi &= (E, p) \\
p_1 &= (E_1, p_1) \\
p_2 &= (E_2, -p_2).
\end{align*} Conservation of energy and momentum gives you
$$p_\pi = p_1 + p_2,$$ and when you square it, you get
$$m_\pi^2 = 2[E_1 E_2 - p_1(- p_2)] = 2(E_1 E_2 + p_1 p_2).$$ You have the plus sign on the RHS like you want.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the Relativistic Decay Problem?

The Relativistic Decay Problem is a theoretical concept in physics that deals with the decay of particles at high speeds, approaching the speed of light. It is based on the theory of relativity and the fact that time and space are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does the theory of relativity affect the decay of particles?

The theory of relativity states that time and space are not absolute, but are affected by the motion and gravity of objects. This means that when particles are moving at high speeds, time and space are distorted, leading to changes in the rate of decay of these particles.

3. What is the significance of the Relativistic Decay Problem?

The Relativistic Decay Problem has important implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at high speeds, as well as the fundamental principles of physics. It also has practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics and particle accelerators.

4. How is the Relativistic Decay Problem solved?

The Relativistic Decay Problem is solved using mathematical equations that take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the decay process. These equations are derived from the principles of special relativity and are used to calculate the decay rate of particles at high speeds.

5. Can the Relativistic Decay Problem be observed in real-life situations?

Yes, the Relativistic Decay Problem has been observed in various experiments and observations, such as in nuclear reactions and the decay of subatomic particles. It is also taken into account in the design and operation of particle accelerators, where particles travel at very high speeds and experience relativistic effects.