1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Doppler effect

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car is getting closer to a radar as a speed of 135 km/h. If the radar works at a [tex]2 \times 10 ^{9} Hz[/tex], what difference of frequency is observed for the radar?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\mu=\frac{\mu _0 \sqrt {1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}{1-\frac{v}{c}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I converted 135 km/h into m/s, which gave me [tex]\frac { 1350 m }{36 s}[/tex].
    Then I applied the formula and [tex]\mu - \mu _0[/tex] gave me [tex]1.024 \times 10^{13} Hz[/tex] which seems WAY too big to be realistic. Am I missing something? Is it a wrong formula?!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

The formula is correct and I agree the number is way too large. Can you show how you got it? A word of caution: v/c is too small to plug in a calculator and expect something other than μ0, i.e. no frequency shift. I suggest that you try a Taylor expansion for small values of v/c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?