Relativistic Doppler Effect: Explaining the Equation

In summary, this equation is describing how the frequency of a wave changes as the source moves away from the receiver.
I'mnotarobot
[mentor's note - lightly edited to fix the Latex]
Hi there,

I was hoping if someone could clear my small misconception for this equation.

[itex]f' = f \left( \frac{ 1- \beta }{ 1+\beta } \right)^2[/itex]

I had thought if the numerator is negative and denominator is positive that means the signal of light or what ever would be moving away from the source. But recently I have come across a question which shows the numerator be positive as the source moves away relative to a reference frame.

Was hoping if someone could tell me a bit more about this topic as it seems to be a bit confusing. I hope that made sense as well haha, if not I can try to explain it better/ give the problem.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello norobo, :welcome:

1 I don't think there's a square in the expression. Power ##{1\over 2}## is what I find, e.g. here
2 there's no way ##1-\beta## can be negative

Likes I'mnotarobot, PeterDonis and m4r35n357
Hey thanks for the reply!

Sorry about that it should be 1/2, what I was trying to say is not that it's negative but when the signs are -/+ it means the source is moving apart from the receiver and when the signs are switched the source is going towards the receiver, where f' is the source and f is receiver. Is this true or do I have this backwards? Thanks again!

Last edited:
I'mnotarobot said:
Hwhat I was trying to say is now that it's negative but when the signs are -/+ it means the course is moving apart from the receiver and when the signs are switched the source is going towards the receiver, where f' is the source and f is receiver. Is this true or do I have this backwards? Thanks again!

As you've written it (and after fixing the square root thing) positive ##\beta## is moving apart. Remembering this is much too much trouble though o_O - it's easier to just remember that when the source is approaching the wave crests get squished closer so the frequency increases and put the smaller or the larger quantity in the numerator and denominator accordingly.

Likes I'mnotarobot
Ah gotcha, so I want to see if I understand it. If f' is the source and f is the receiver.
Say a car is approaching past you (at a speed close to light haha) the source being the car, as it approaches the WAVELENGTH is getting smaller hence the frequency increases, so we have [itex]f' = f \left( \frac{ 1+\beta }{ 1-\beta } \right)^{1/2}[/itex] and as it goes away the WAVELENGTH is getting larger so the frequency decreases and we have [itex]f' = f \left( \frac{ 1-\beta }{ 1+\beta } \right)^{1/2}[/itex]

You can do what you have done, which is to define ##\beta## as the absolute rate of separation between source and receiver. Then you need your two formulae (which I agree with in this context), one for red-shift and one for blue.

Alternatively you can give ##\beta## a sign, and make it positive for approaching sources and negative for receding sources (or vice versa). Then you only need one of those formulae - which one depends on your sign convention. I do not know if there is a universally agreed approach to this. You might find it easier to remember that $$f'=f\left( \frac{1\pm\beta}{1\mp\beta}\right)^{1/2}$$and figure out which one is appropriate using Nugatory's menmonic.

Or, ##f'=f\left( \frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}\right)^{\pm \frac{1}{2}}##.

Likes Nugatory
Indeed. Who says algebra isn't fun?

Likes Nugatory

1. What is the Relativistic Doppler Effect?

The Relativistic Doppler Effect is a phenomenon in which there is a perceived change in the frequency and wavelength of electromagnetic radiation due to the relative motion between the source of the radiation and the observer.

2. How is the Relativistic Doppler Effect different from the Classical Doppler Effect?

The Classical Doppler Effect only takes into account the relative motion between the source of the radiation and the observer, whereas the Relativistic Doppler Effect also considers the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the high speeds involved in the relative motion.

3. What is the equation for the Relativistic Doppler Effect?

The equation for the Relativistic Doppler Effect is: f' = f * (1 ± v/c), where f' is the observed frequency, f is the emitted frequency, v is the relative velocity between the source and observer, and c is the speed of light.

4. Can the Relativistic Doppler Effect be applied to all types of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, the Relativistic Doppler Effect can be applied to all types of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

5. How is the Relativistic Doppler Effect used in everyday life?

The Relativistic Doppler Effect is used in various technologies, such as radar and satellite communication, to measure the speed and distance of objects. It is also used in astronomy to study the motion and properties of celestial objects. Additionally, it is used in medical imaging techniques, such as Doppler ultrasound, to measure blood flow and detect abnormalities in the body.