Is the Relativistic Doppler Shift Formula Correctly Applied in this Problem?

In summary, the problem in the link would need to be solved like this:500/700 =√[(1-β)/(1+β)]25/49 = (1-β)/(1+β)24/49 = 74/49 ββ = 13/37v = 9.7 E4This is the correct answer.
Solarmew
I was just wondering if this problem is right and I'm missing something or ...
http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~ryden/ast143/ps3_soln.pdf
Cuz I'm reading the GRE book and it says here to use the relativistic Doppler shift formula. So the problem in the link would need to be solved like

500/700 =√[(1-β)/(1+β)]
25/49 = (1-β)/(1+β)
24/49 = 74/49 β
β = 13/37
v = 9.7 E4

isn't that how you're supposed to do it? >.> ...
i tried doing the problem in the book using the method from the link and didn't get the right answer +.+

Physics news on Phys.org
The PDF you linked to is using a non-relativistic approximation for the Doppler shift formula--which, as your calculation shows, is actually not a very good approximation for this problem, since the speed is high enough to be an appreciable fraction of the speed of light. That's why the PDF's answer is about 12 percent lower than yours; that's the error involved in using the non-relativistic approximation for this speed.

Likes 1 person
oooooh, ok, thanks :3

Solarmew said:
I was just wondering if this problem is right and I'm missing something or ...
http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~ryden/ast143/ps3_soln.pdf
Cuz I'm reading the GRE book and it says here to use the relativistic Doppler shift formula. So the problem in the link would need to be solved like

500/700 =√[(1-β)/(1+β)]
25/49 = (1-β)/(1+β)
24/49 = 74/49 β
β = 13/37
v = 9.7 E4

isn't that how you're supposed to do it? >.> ...
i tried doing the problem in the book using the method from the link and didn't get the right answer +.+

Your fourth, and last steps are wrong. Just check your algebra for the 4th step. For the last I have no idea what you did but it is a nonsensical answer given that mph are desired. The rest is ok.

I think this should be moved to a homework forum, and have indicated such to the mentors.

[Correct answer should be about 2.17 E8 mph]

Last edited:
PAllen said:
Just check your algebra for the 4th step.

I think he meant to write 12/37 instead of 13/37. Although 13/37 is a better number if you're using the urban dictionary. :wink:

PAllen said:
For the last I have no idea what you did but it is a nonsensical answer given that mph are desired.

Yes, but the answer makes sense if it's km/sec and beta is 12/37. That was what I assumed when I responded.

yes, i meant 12/37 X3 ... and also yes on km/sec :]
also I'm a she >.> ... not that it matters <.< ...

What is the Relativistic Doppler Shift?

The Relativistic Doppler Shift is a phenomenon in which the frequency of a wave, such as light or sound, appears to change when observed from two different frames of reference that are moving relative to each other at high speeds.

How does the Relativistic Doppler Shift work?

The Relativistic Doppler Shift is based on the principle of time dilation in special relativity. As an object or observer moves towards or away from a source of waves, the frequency of the waves will appear to change due to the difference in the passage of time between the two frames of reference. This effect is also influenced by the speed of the moving object or observer.

What is the difference between Relativistic and Non-Relativistic Doppler Shift?

The Non-Relativistic Doppler Shift is based on the classical laws of physics and only takes into account the relative motion of the source and observer. The Relativistic Doppler Shift, on the other hand, takes into account the effects of time dilation and relativistic speeds, making it a more accurate and complex phenomenon.

What are some real-world applications of the Relativistic Doppler Shift?

The Relativistic Doppler Shift has many practical applications, such as in astronomy where it is used to measure the speed and direction of celestial objects. It is also used in medical imaging to measure blood flow and in radar technology to detect the speed and distance of moving objects.

What is the formula for calculating the Relativistic Doppler Shift?

The formula for calculating the Relativistic Doppler Shift is f' = f * sqrt((c + v)/(c - v)), where f' is the observed frequency, f is the emitted frequency, c is the speed of light, and v is the relative velocity between the source and observer.