1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Doppler shift

1. Aug 1, 2013 #1
    I was just wondering if this problem is right and I'm missing something or ....
    http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~ryden/ast143/ps3_soln.pdf
    Cuz i'm reading the GRE book and it says here to use the relativistic Doppler shift formula. So the problem in the link would need to be solved like

500/700 =√[(1-β)/(1+β)]
    25/49 = (1-β)/(1+β)
    24/49 = 74/49 β
    β = 13/37
    v = 9.7 E4

isn't that how you're supposed to do it? >.> ...
    i tried doing the problem in the book using the method from the link and didn't get the right answer +.+

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2013 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The PDF you linked to is using a non-relativistic approximation for the Doppler shift formula--which, as your calculation shows, is actually not a very good approximation for this problem, since the speed is high enough to be an appreciable fraction of the speed of light. That's why the PDF's answer is about 12 percent lower than yours; that's the error involved in using the non-relativistic approximation for this speed.

4. Aug 1, 2013 #3
    oooooh, ok, thanx :3

5. Aug 1, 2013 #4

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your fourth, and last steps are wrong. Just check your algebra for the 4th step. For the last I have no idea what you did but it is a nonsensical answer given that mph are desired. The rest is ok.

I think this should be moved to a homework forum, and have indicated such to the mentors.

[Correct answer should be about 2.17 E8 mph]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  6. Aug 1, 2013 #5

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think he meant to write 12/37 instead of 13/37. Although 13/37 is a better number if you're using the urban dictionary. :wink:

Yes, but the answer makes sense if it's km/sec and beta is 12/37. That was what I assumed when I responded.

7. Aug 1, 2013 #6
    yes, i meant 12/37 X3 ... and also yes on km/sec :]
    also i'm a she >.> ... not that it matters <.< ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted