Can Light Wavelength Remain Unchanged at High Velocities?

In summary: The cosine term would be greater than zero, but the square root term would still be less than 1.In summary, the conversation discusses a probe launched with a velocity of 0.8c and a beacon emitting light with a wavelength of 500nm. When NASA measures the light years later, they find the same wavelength. The conversation explores the possibility of this observation and the use of the Doppler shift equation to understand the relationship between the probe's velocity and the observed wavelength. It concludes that the probe must have changed direction for the observed wavelength to remain the same.
AishaGirl

Homework Statement

A probe is launched with velocity [itex]v=0.8c[/itex]. A beacon emits a light with wavelength [itex]\lambda=500nm[/itex] in its rest frame. Years later the probe is located by NASA using a telescope, When they measure the light they find the wavelength [itex]\lambda=500nm[/itex] in their rest frame. Is this possible? What is the explanation for this observation?

Homework Equations

Dopple shift equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Essentially the problem states that [itex]v/v\prime = \lambda\prime/\lambda=1[/itex] I can use the doppler shift equation to find the relationship between [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex]

I'm inclined to think that this is not possible and the light should be redshifted but after working through the question there seems to be some angle whereby the shift balances or cancels out and I don't understand why.

Using the doppler shift equation I can say that [itex]\frac{\lambda\prime}{\lambda} = \frac{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}{1+\beta \cos\theta} \implies \cos\theta=\frac{1}{\beta}\Big( \sqrt{1-b^2}-1\Big)[/itex]

It's clear that the square root term will always be less than or equal to 1 and so the right side will always be negative given that [itex]\cos\theta < 0[/itex] for [itex]\pi/2 < \theta \leq \pi[/itex]

Then using the taylor expansion it becomes [itex]\beta \rightarrow 0 \implies \cos\theta \approx \frac{1}{\beta}\Big( 1-\frac{1}{2}\beta^2-1\Big)=-\frac{\beta}{2}[/itex]

So there is a time when the probe travels nearly perpendicular to pi/2. If I just plug in [itex]\beta=4/5[/itex] I get [itex]\theta=120^\circ[/itex].

All well and good but I still fail to see where the speed of the probe is taken into account... I cannot see a time where the angle of a probe moving at 0.8c will ever balance to create no shift, the Earth is moving at a fraction of the speed of probe. I don't understand...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What effect would a change in the direction of the probes' relative velocity have on the wavelength of the light signal observed by NASA? What if it is moving on a path that is tangential to its displacement relative to the NASA observer?

AM

Last edited:
What is your ##\gamma##? You don't use it in the way it is typically used in special relativity (Lorentz factor).

If something is moving directly towards you, you'll see it blueshifted. If something moves directly away from you, you see it redshifted. As the shift is continuous, there has to be an angle where you see zero shift. It would require the probe to come closer to the receiver (the telescope), which doesn't really match the description (unless the probe is launched from Proxima Centauri or whatever).

AishaGirl said:
[itex] \cos\theta=\frac{1}{\beta}\Big( \sqrt{1-b^2}-1\Big)[/itex]
That equation is good.

##\beta## is large, you shouldn't use a taylor expansion. You also do not need it because you know its value.
AishaGirl said:
All well and good but I still fail to see where the speed of the probe is taken into account
You plug it into get your answer.

If the spaceship was moving directly away, then the light would be red-shifted. If it turned round in a long loop and headed towards Earth, then it would be blue-shifted. As the change from red to blue should be continuous, then somewhere on this loop you would get the original wavelength.

Homework helpers are like number 13 buses. You wait hours and then three come at once!

Yeah sure if it changes speed or direction then I would expect to see some change in its wavelength but there is no mention of this in the question... If the probe fell into orbit around a planet or something and its velocity was significantly reduced then I'd agree it might balance out.

*EDIT* Sorry the gammas should be lambdas (wavelength), been typing too many gammas recently, sorry.

Technically the probe could have been launched from somewhere else. Looks odd, but I would mention it as possibility.

AishaGirl said:
Yeah sure if it changes speed or direction then I would expect to see some change in its wavelength but there is no mention of this in the question... If the probe fell into orbit around a planet or something and its velocity was significantly reduced then I'd agree it might balance out.

The answer is simply that the probe has changed direction. It's no longer moving directly away from Earth.

PeroK said:
The answer is simply that the probe has changed direction. It's no longer moving directly away from Earth.

OK thanks. So just the clarify if the probe continued its velocity of 0.8c away from Earth its wavelength will remain redshifted to an observer?

AishaGirl said:
OK thanks. So just the clarify if the probe continued its velocity of 0.8c away from Earth its wavelength will remain redshifted to an observer?

Yes, you can see that from your equations.

1. What is the relativistic doppler shift and how does it work?

The relativistic doppler shift is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a relative motion between a source of waves (such as light or sound) and an observer. It causes a shift in the frequency and wavelength of the waves as perceived by the observer. This shift is dependent on the velocity of the source and the observer, as well as the speed of the waves.

2. How is the relativistic doppler shift different from the classical doppler effect?

Unlike the classical doppler effect, which only takes into account the relative motion between the source and observer, the relativistic doppler shift also considers the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the high speeds at which the source and observer are moving. These relativistic effects become more significant at higher velocities and can greatly impact the observed frequency and wavelength of the waves.

3. What are some real-world applications of the relativistic doppler shift?

The relativistic doppler shift has many practical applications in fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of celestial bodies to determine their velocities and distances, as well as in radar technology to measure the speed of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging, such as in ultrasound, to accurately detect and measure blood flow in the body.

4. How does the relativistic doppler shift affect the color of light?

The relativistic doppler shift affects the perceived color of light by changing its frequency. When a source of light is moving away from an observer, its wavelength increases, causing the light to shift towards the red end of the spectrum (redshift). On the other hand, when the source is moving towards the observer, its wavelength decreases, causing the light to shift towards the blue end of the spectrum (blueshift).

5. Can the relativistic doppler shift be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the relativistic doppler shift can be observed in everyday life. For example, the sound of a siren on an emergency vehicle changes as it approaches and then passes by an observer due to the doppler effect. Additionally, the colors of stars in the night sky can appear slightly shifted due to their relative velocities with respect to Earth. However, these shifts are usually very small and can only be detected with sensitive instruments.