Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Dynamics, Action at a Distance, & Field Theory

1. Jan 20, 2012 #1
    PREAMBLE: I'm not asking you to do this for me, just point me to some CLEAR references.

THE PROBLEM: I am trying to understand the differences between Action-at-a-distance (AAAD) and Field theory. I am trying to better understand relativistic dynamics and the relativistic 2-body problem. I'd like to do 3 items:

1)A clear def'n of AAAD (that does not use the term "field"). Paraphrasing various definitions, I typically see that an example of AAAD relates to a "field", such as the gravitational "field" or the electrical "field".
    2)A clear def'n of a field.
    3)A table that contrasts AAAD and fields. For example:

ITEM, AAAD, Field
    Dgrs of Freedm, 3N, Infinite,
    Momentum, Mechanical, body to body, Field momentum
    Mechanics,,, Hamiltonian, Lagrangian

Clearly, I am struggling to find the right words and phrases, and I understand there is some overlap in definitions and I understand that I have not clearly specified the items in the rows.

Thanks for any help or references you can give.

HeavyWater

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted