Relativistic Dynamics in Hamiltonian Formulation

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the Caldeira-Leggett Hamiltonian is a model used to study the interaction between a particle and a heat bath. In the case of high velocities, the Hamiltonian needs to be modified and can be written as the sum of single-particle Hamiltonians, taking into account the effects of special relativity. Additionally, the modified multi-particle Hamiltonian includes terms for interactions between particles and the heat bath. Good luck with your research!
Alex Petrosyan
hi all!

I’m trying to generalise the Caldeira-Leggett Hamiltonian (heat bath + particle) to the case of high velocities. Naturally, the multi-oscillator Hamiltonian needs to change and I have a gnawing suspicion that the multi-particle Hamiltonian is just the sum of single-particle hamiltonians with $$ H = \sqrt{P^2 + m^2} $$

In natural units ofc.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your post. The Caldeira-Leggett Hamiltonian is a useful model for studying the dynamics of a particle interacting with a heat bath. As you mentioned, this model is usually described using a multi-oscillator Hamiltonian, but in the case of high velocities, the Hamiltonian needs to be modified.

Your suspicion about the multi-particle Hamiltonian being the sum of single-particle Hamiltonians is partially correct. In the case of high velocities, the Hamiltonian can indeed be written as the sum of single-particle Hamiltonians, but the form of these Hamiltonians will be different from the one you mentioned.

In fact, in the case of high velocities, the single-particle Hamiltonian should be written as $$H=\sqrt{m^2+P^2}-m,$$ where $m$ is the mass of the particle and $P$ is its momentum. This Hamiltonian is known as the relativistic Hamiltonian and it takes into account the effects of special relativity.

Furthermore, the multi-particle Hamiltonian should also include terms that take into account the interactions between the particles and the heat bath. These interactions can be described using the coupling constant $\alpha$, which is a measure of the strength of the interaction.

Therefore, the modified multi-particle Hamiltonian for high velocities would be $$H=\sum_{i=1}^N\sqrt{m_i^2+P_i^2}-m_i+\alpha\sum_{i=1}^N q_iX_i,$$ where $N$ is the number of particles, $m_i$ and $P_i$ are the mass and momentum of the $i$th particle, and $q_i$ and $X_i$ are the position and momentum operators for the $i$th particle.

I hope this helps in your research. Best of luck!

1. What is the Hamiltonian formulation in relativistic dynamics?

The Hamiltonian formulation is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of particles in a relativistic setting. It is based on the Hamiltonian function, which is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of a system. In this formulation, the equations of motion are derived from the Hamiltonian function, rather than the more commonly used Lagrangian function.

2. How does the Hamiltonian formulation differ from the Lagrangian formulation?

In the Lagrangian formulation, the equations of motion are derived from the Lagrangian function, which is a mathematical function that describes the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of a system. In the Hamiltonian formulation, the equations of motion are derived from the Hamiltonian function, which takes into account the total energy of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using the Hamiltonian formulation in relativistic dynamics?

The Hamiltonian formulation has several advantages over the Lagrangian formulation in relativistic dynamics. It allows for a more direct and intuitive interpretation of the equations of motion, as well as a more efficient calculation of the equations. It also provides a more natural way to incorporate constraints and symmetries into the equations, making it a powerful tool for studying complex systems.

4. Can the Hamiltonian formulation be applied to all systems in relativistic dynamics?

Yes, the Hamiltonian formulation can be applied to all systems in relativistic dynamics, including particles, fields, and even quantum systems. It provides a consistent framework for describing the behavior of these systems, and has been successfully applied in various areas of physics, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with using the Hamiltonian formulation in relativistic dynamics?

One limitation of the Hamiltonian formulation is that it does not always provide a unique solution to the equations of motion. This is because the Hamiltonian function may have multiple minima, resulting in different possible trajectories for the system. Additionally, the Hamiltonian formulation can be more mathematically complex compared to the Lagrangian formulation, making it more challenging to apply in certain situations.