Relativistic E/p relations in the WKB Approximation

In summary, the semi-classical approximation can be extended to the case when m != 0, and the expression for the phase is valid for both m = 0 and m != 0.
FunkyDwarf
EDIT: fixed minus sign issue =)

Hey,

I have what is probably a rather trivial question but I just want to ensure that I'm on the right track :)

If I have a wave equation of the form
[tex] -\psi''(r) +A(r) \psi(r) = 0 [/tex]

then one can invoke (in suitable circumstances) the semi-classical (WKB) approximation such that the solution is of the form

[tex] \psi(r) \approx \frac{1}{\sqrt{p(r)}} \sin\left(\int p(r) dr\right) [/tex]
where
[tex] p(r) = \int \sqrt{-A(r)}dr [/tex] (assuming phase at r = 0 is 0 and no absorption is occurring).

My question ultimately has to do with the relativistic E/p relation, specifically in the case where I have a particle in some central potential. For arguments sake let's say I cannot separate A(r) into a nice potential form, ie an energy part and a potential part.

Is it still fair to say that when m = 0 the momentum p(r) must be linear in energy ? ie can I write the phase as the following:
[tex] \Phi(r) = \int p(r) dr = \epsilon \int f(r) dr[/tex]

If so, can I also extend this to the case where m !=0, ie write
[tex] \Phi(r) = \int p(r) dr = \int \sqrt{\epsilon^2 g(r)-m^2 h(r)} dr[/tex]
(keeping in mind A(r) could be a total mess, i.e. very different radial dependences on energy and mass, say)

Obviously I can't use the normal [tex] \epsilon = \sqrt{p^2 + m^2} [/tex], but is the above the correct natural extension?

Hope that made sense, and thanks in advance for replies (if they're helpful =P)!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is correct to extend the semi-classical approximation to the case when m != 0. The expression you have written for the phase is correct, and you can use it to calculate the momentum as a function of energy and mass. Also, note that the expression you have written for the phase is also valid in the case when m = 0, so you don't need to make any special cases for m = 0.

1. What are relativistic e/p relations?

Relativistic e/p relations refer to the mathematical equations that describe the relationship between energy (e) and momentum (p) in the context of Einstein's theory of relativity. These equations take into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. Why are relativistic e/p relations important?

Relativistic e/p relations are important because they allow us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of particles at high speeds, where the effects of relativity become significant. They also help us understand the relationship between energy and momentum, two fundamental concepts in physics.

3. How do we derive relativistic e/p relations?

The relativistic e/p relations can be derived from Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, which states that energy (E) is equal to mass (m) times the speed of light squared (c^2). By manipulating this equation and taking into account the effects of special relativity, we can derive the equations for energy and momentum in terms of each other.

4. What are the key differences between relativistic and classical e/p relations?

The key difference between relativistic and classical e/p relations is that the latter only applies to particles moving at low speeds, where the effects of relativity can be ignored. In classical e/p relations, energy is simply equal to momentum squared divided by twice the mass. However, in relativistic e/p relations, energy and momentum are related through more complex equations that take into account the effects of special relativity.

5. How are relativistic e/p relations used in practical applications?

Relativistic e/p relations are used in many practical applications, including particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and space travel. They are essential for accurately predicting and controlling the behavior of high-speed particles, which is crucial in these fields. Additionally, relativistic e/p relations are also used in medical imaging techniques such as PET scans, which rely on the detection of high-energy particles.