Relativistic effects in non-vacuous media

In summary, the conversation discusses the implications of Special Relativity in media other than pure vacuum, specifically in relation to a thought experiment involving a prism and a moving wall. The question posed is whether the time taken for light to traverse the prism is longer or shorter when the prism is moving towards the wall. The conversation also touches on the calculation of the speed of light in a moving media using the velocity addition formula.
freemind
Hello,

I've been pondering the implications of SR in media other than pure vacuum (yes, yes I know such a thing doesn't exist :). More specifically relating to the following thought experiment. If we have a prism of length [tex] L [/tex] in the path of a light source, with a wall @ the other end (the prism is btwn the source and the wall), and if the prism is stationary, then the light will take a certain amount of time [tex] t_s [/tex] to traverse the distance to the wall (relative to an external observer for whom the source and wall are stationary). Obviously, this time will depend on how much time the light spends inside the prism. Now consider the prism to be moving @ a speed [tex] v_0 [/tex] toward the wall. The time taken by the light to traverse the same distance shall be [tex] t_1 [/tex] (again, with respect to the aforementioned FoR). Now, my question is whether [tex] t_1 < t_0 [/tex] or if [tex] t_0 < t_1 [/tex]. I'm thinking [tex] t_1 > t_0 [/tex] because the light spends more time in the moving media, hence, the media is effectively "lengthened" because of its speed ("lengthened" only for [tex] v << c [/tex] of course; I'm well aware of prism length contraction @ relativistic speeds). Is my reasoning flawed?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
freemind said:
Hello,

I've been pondering the implications of SR in media other than pure vacuum (yes, yes I know such a thing doesn't exist :).

A more direct approach is this

We know that the speed of light in a media with an index of refraction n is c/n

We know that relativistic velocities add by the relativistic velocity addition formula.

v = v1+v2 / (1 + v1 v2 / c^2)

Therfore, we can calculate the speed of light in a moving media

When the media is moving in the same direction as the light, we get

vtot = (v + c/n) / (1 + v/(c*n))

When the media is moving in the opposite direction we get

vtot = (v - c/n) / (1 - v/(c*n))

I haven't worked out the times from the velocities to answer the original question, though.

After spending an hour trying to figure out the hyperphysics derivation of the velocity addition formula (hey, it ain't exactly intuitive you know :smile: ), and spending 5 min making the connection to your direct approach, I finally understand it. Thank you.

freemind said:
After spending an hour trying to figure out the hyperphysics derivation of the velocity addition formula (hey, it ain't exactly intuitive you know :smile: ), and spending 5 min making the connection to your direct approach, I finally understand it. Thank you.

Glad you figured it out - on rereading it my post, I see that my explanation was defintely on the terse side, but it sounds like you got the idea. When you know the speed of light in one frame (the rest frame of the media), you can figure it out in all frames via some very standard formulas.

1. What are relativistic effects in non-vacuous media?

Relativistic effects refer to the changes in physical phenomena that occur due to the effects of special relativity, which is the theory that describes the relationship between space and time. In non-vacuous media, such as a medium with a non-zero refractive index, these effects are further modified due to the interactions between light and the medium.

2. How do relativistic effects manifest in non-vacuous media?

Relativistic effects in non-vacuous media can manifest in various ways, such as a change in the speed of light, altered trajectories of particles, and changes in the properties of electromagnetic waves. These effects are a result of the interactions between the medium and the electromagnetic fields, which are described by Maxwell's equations.

3. What is the role of the refractive index in relativistic effects?

The refractive index is a measure of how much a medium can slow down the speed of light passing through it. In relativistic effects, the refractive index plays a crucial role in determining the extent of these effects. As the refractive index increases, the magnitude of the relativistic effects also increases.

4. How do relativistic effects in non-vacuous media impact experiments and observations?

Relativistic effects in non-vacuous media can have significant impacts on experiments and observations. For example, in particle accelerators, these effects can cause particles to deviate from their expected trajectories, leading to discrepancies in measurements. In astrophysics, these effects can affect the propagation of light and alter the appearance of distant objects.

5. Can relativistic effects in non-vacuous media be ignored in everyday situations?

In most everyday situations, the effects of relativity in non-vacuous media are negligible and can be ignored. However, in certain cases, such as in extreme conditions like near the speed of light or in high-density mediums, these effects can become significant and cannot be ignored. Therefore, it is essential to consider these effects in certain scientific and technological applications.