Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic effects

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    In a text book about relativity, I read that particle accelarators can get to a limit because of the relativistic effects. Is that not the limit of speed of light?

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2
    Please quote the original text for clarity. Thanks.

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That would be the most obvious thing to assume, but as neutrino has pointed out, in this forum, before we can comment on what you think you read, we have to know exactly where you read it from. Just saying "I read somewhere" or "I heard this somewhere" is not good enough for this forum. I hope everyone, especially the newbies, is aware of this.

Zz.

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, there is a limit to the speed (with repspect to Earth) that an accelerator can impart to a particle, but, in principle (practice is a different story), there in no limit to the energy that an accelerator can impart to a particle.

6. Oct 21, 2007 #5
    The speed limit of tardyon's (defined as particles for which v < c at all times) is obviously yes. Tardyon's are things like electrons, protons, positrons, antiprotons, etc. The are two other classes of particles. One is a Luxon for which v = c at all times (e.g. a photon) while the last one is a Tachyon for which v > c at all times. Tachyon's have never been observed so for all we know they don't exist. I read the arguement for their existance and found it weak to flawed myself. That is just my personal opinion. But I doubt many physicists believe in the existance of Tachyons. However if they did exist then they are born moving faster than light and at best one accelerates it to as high of a speed as one wishes or decelerates it to a lower bound of the speed of light.

Best regards

Pete

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  7. Oct 21, 2007 #6
    Did you mean, "One is a Luxon for which v = c at all times?"

8. Oct 21, 2007 #7
    Yes! Thank you very much for pointing that out for me. I have gone back and corrected it now.

Thanks again! :smile:

Pete

9. Oct 23, 2007 #8
    You are welcome. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?