Relativistic Effects: Particle Accelerators & Speed of Light

In summary, in a textbook about relativity, it is stated that particle accelerators have a limit due to relativistic effects. This limit is not the limit of the speed of light, as there are particles that can travel faster than the speed of light, known as tachyons. However, tachyons have not been observed and their existence is debated among physicists. If they do exist, they are born moving faster than light and can be accelerated or decelerated to different speeds.
pixel01
In a textbook about relativity, I read that particle accelarators can get to a limit because of the relativistic effects. Is that not the limit of speed of light?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please quote the original text for clarity. Thanks.

pixel01 said:
In a textbook about relativity, I read that particle accelarators can get to a limit because of the relativistic effects. Is that not the limit of speed of light?

Thanks for any help.

That would be the most obvious thing to assume, but as neutrino has pointed out, in this forum, before we can comment on what you think you read, we have to know exactly where you read it from. Just saying "I read somewhere" or "I heard this somewhere" is not good enough for this forum. I hope everyone, especially the newbies, is aware of this.

Zz.

pixel01 said:

Thanks for any help.

Yes, there is a limit to the speed (with repspect to Earth) that an accelerator can impart to a particle, but, in principle (practice is a different story), there in no limit to the energy that an accelerator can impart to a particle.

pixel01 said:

Thanks for any help.
The speed limit of tardyon's (defined as particles for which v < c at all times) is obviously yes. Tardyon's are things like electrons, protons, positrons, antiprotons, etc. The are two other classes of particles. One is a Luxon for which v = c at all times (e.g. a photon) while the last one is a Tachyon for which v > c at all times. Tachyon's have never been observed so for all we know they don't exist. I read the argument for their existence and found it weak to flawed myself. That is just my personal opinion. But I doubt many physicists believe in the existence of Tachyons. However if they did exist then they are born moving faster than light and at best one accelerates it to as high of a speed as one wishes or decelerates it to a lower bound of the speed of light.

Best regards

Pete

Last edited:
pmb_phy said:
The speed limit of tardyon's (defined as particles for which v < c at all times) is obviously yes. Tardyon's are things like electrons, protons, positrons, antiprotons, etc. The are two other classes of particles. One is a Luxon for which v = 0 at all times (e.g. a photon) while the last one is a Tachyon for which v > c at all times. Tachyon's have never been observed so for all we know they don't exist. I read the argument for their existence and found it weak to flawed myself. That is just my personal opinion. But I doubt many physicists believe in the existence of Tachyons. However if they did exist then they are born moving faster than light and at best one accelerates it to as high of a speed as one wishes or decelerates it to a lower bound of the speed of light.

Best regards

Pete

Did you mean, "One is a Luxon for which v = c at all times?"

RetardedBastard said:
Did you mean, "One is a Luxon for which v = c at all times?"
Yes! Thank you very much for pointing that out for me. I have gone back and corrected it now.

Thanks again! :smile:

Pete

pmb_phy said:
Yes! Thank you very much for pointing that out for me. I have gone back and corrected it now.

Thanks again! :smile:

Pete

You are welcome. :)

1. What are relativistic effects in particle accelerators?

Relativistic effects refer to changes in the behavior of particles when they are accelerated to speeds approaching the speed of light. These effects include time dilation, length contraction, and relativistic mass increase.

2. How do particle accelerators achieve such high speeds?

Particle accelerators use electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles to high speeds. These fields provide energy to the particles, increasing their speed as they travel through the accelerator.

3. What is the speed of light in a particle accelerator?

The speed of light in a particle accelerator is the same as the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

4. How do relativistic effects impact the behavior of particles in a particle accelerator?

Relativistic effects can cause particles to appear to have a longer lifespan, travel further distances, and have a greater mass than they would at lower speeds. These effects must be taken into account when designing and operating a particle accelerator.

5. Can particles ever reach the speed of light in a particle accelerator?

No, particles cannot reach the speed of light in a particle accelerator. As particles approach the speed of light, the amount of energy needed to accelerate them further increases exponentially. This makes it impossible for particles to reach the speed of light within a particle accelerator.