1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Elastic Collision

1. Sep 29, 2005 #1
    I've done the bulk of this problem (part A) but I still can't figure the last bit (part B):

"Consider an elastic head-on collision between a projectile with mass m_a, velocity (vector)v_a, energy E_a, and three-momentum (vector)p_a and a stationary target of mass m_b. (That the collision is head-on measn that the two particles emerge from the collision both moving along the line of the incident velocity (vector)v_a.)

a) What is the final velocity (vector)v_b of the target particle b?"

To solve this problem I first determined the initial 4-momenta of both a in b the laboratory frame:
    P_ai = (P_t, P_x, P_y, P_z) = (E_a/c, p_a, 0, 0)
    P_bi = (m_b*c, 0, 0, 0)
    Where c is the speed of light.

Then I did a Lorentz tranformation into a frame where the total 3-momenta is 0 (keeping in mind that I don't know beta or gamma yet because I don't know the speed of this frame relative to the lab frame):
    P'_ai = (y*E_a/c - y*B*p_a, y*p_a - B*y*E_a/c, 0, 0)
    P'_bi = (y*m_b*c, -y*B*m_b*c, 0, 0)
    Here, y is gamma and B is beta.

Then to find the relative speed of the frames, I add the spatial components of the 4-momenta (i.e. the 3-momenta) and I set them to 0:
    P_total = 0 = y(-B(E_a/c + m_a*c) + p_a)
    B = v_cm/c = p_a*c / (E_a + m_b*c)
    Here, v_cm is the relative velocity of the center-of-momentum frame relative to the lab frame.

Now I try to find the final 4-momentum of mass m_b. Since we know the collision is elastic, |P'_bi| = |P'_bf|, and
    P'_bf = (y*m_b*c, y*B*m_b*c, 0, 0)
    The 3-momentum simply has the opposite sign.

Then I transformed P'_bf back into the lab frame by inverse Lorentz transfromation, which gave
    P_bf = (y^2*m_b*c + y^2*B^2*m_b*c, 2*y^2*B*m_b*c, 0, 0) = (E_b/c, p_b, 0, 0)

Utilizing the relationship, (vector)v_b = p_b*c^2/E_b = 2*y^2*B*m_b*c^3/(y^2*m_b*c^2 + y^2*B^2*m_b*c^2) = 2*y^2*B*m_b*c^3/[y^2*m_b*c^2(1 + B^2)],
    (vector)v_b final = 2*B*c/(1 + B^2), B = v_cm/c = p_a*c / (E_a + m_b*c) from before.

So that's part a, now comes what seems like the easy part:

"b) Describe what happens if the 2 masses are equal."

I suspect that m_a becomes rested and m_b picks up all it's speed, but I'm having a hard time putting it into numbers.

I tried seeing what happened if I took m_a = m_b into the equation for B, and got y*v/((y + 1)c) but when I try to plug that into (vector)v_b, I can't simplify it and gain no further insight.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted