Relativistic Elastic Collisions

In summary, the conversation discusses the collision of two identical particles, A and B, with mass m in an inertial frame R. After the collision, their trajectories are symmetrical with respect to the incident direction, with angle t between them. The expression for cos t is obtained as a function of the mass m and the kinetic energy T1 of particle A. The attempt at a solution involves using the Einstein Relation and Conservation of Energy and Momentum, but the lack of information about velocities makes it difficult to complete the problem.
wam_mi

Homework Statement

Q: Consider two identical particles A and B have the same mass m in the inertial frame
R where B is at rest. The two particles collide and their trajectories after
impact are symmetrical with respect to the incident direction. Let t be the
angle between the trajectories after collision. Obtain an expression of cos t as
a function of the mass m and the kinetic energy T1 of the particle A.

Homework Equations

(i) Einstein Relation / Relativistic Energy Relation between energy and momentum
E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (mod p)^2 *c^2

where E = energy
and p = momentum

(ii) Conservation of Energy: Energy before = Energy after

(iii) Conservation of Momentum: Momentum before = Momentum after

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Energy Conservation: T1 + mc^2 + mc^2 = Energy after

Using Momentum Conservation: ?

Since I do not know any velocities and I only know particle A has kinetic energy T1 and therefore total energy T1 + mc^2... I don't know how to complete this problem.

Also I try to do momentum conservation in the x-direction

so before the impact particle A would have p(x-component)

and after the impact particle A would have p1(x-component) = p1 *cos (t/2)

and after the impact particle B would have p2 (x-component) = p2 * cos(t/2)

Please help!

Thanks a lot guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wam_mi! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
wam_mi said:
Using Energy Conservation: T1 + mc^2 + mc^2 = Energy after

Using Momentum Conservation: ?

Nooo … start again …

don't use T1 + mc2 … it's horrible and pointless …

use energy = m/√(1 - v2/c2) and momentum = mv/√(1 - v2/c2) :wink:

What is a relativistic elastic collision?

A relativistic elastic collision is a type of collision between two particles where both energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy and the total momentum of the particles before and after the collision are the same.

What is the difference between a relativistic and a non-relativistic elastic collision?

In a non-relativistic elastic collision, the velocities of the particles involved are much smaller than the speed of light and can be accurately modeled using classical mechanics. In a relativistic elastic collision, the velocities are closer to the speed of light and require the use of special relativity to accurately describe the behavior of the particles.

What is the equation for calculating the final velocities in a relativistic elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocities in a relativistic elastic collision is given by:
v1f = [(m1 - m2)v1i + 2m2v2i] / (m1 + m2)
v2f = [(m2 - m1)v2i + 2m1v1i] / (m1 + m2)
where m1 and m2 are the masses of the particles, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities.

What is an example of a relativistic elastic collision?

An example of a relativistic elastic collision is when two particles, such as protons, collide in a particle accelerator at high speeds. In this scenario, the velocities of the particles are close to the speed of light and special relativity must be taken into account to accurately predict the outcome of the collision.

What is the importance of studying relativistic elastic collisions?

Studying relativistic elastic collisions is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles at high speeds and energies. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics, where the effects of relativity are significant. It also helps us to accurately predict and model the behavior of particles in experiments and simulations.