Relativistic energy/momentum

• Thread starter ElijahRockers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativistic
In summary, you were asked to find the speed of a proton that has the same kinetic energy and momentum as an electron with a speed of .75c. For part A, you correctly found the speed of the proton to be .0374c. For part B, you made a small mistake in your simplification, but arrived at the correct equation to find the speed of the proton, which is 2.8E5 m/s.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An electron has a speed of .75c. Find the speed of a proton that has:

a) The same kinetic energy as the electron

b) The same momentum as the electron

Homework Equations

γmc2 = K + mc2

P = γmv

The Attempt at a Solution

PART A:

me (electron mass) = .511MeV/c2
Ve (electron velocity) = .75c

Ke (KE of electron) = (γ-1)mec2
Ke = 1.286(.511) = .657MeV

mp (proton mass) = 938.27MeV/c2
Vp (proton velocity) = ?

So to find Vp:

.657MeV = (γ-1)(938.27MeV) and after simplification, vp = .0374c

Answer is not in the back, so I can't be sure if I did this correctly.

PART B: (I used the kg representation of mass for this part, because I am confused by the eV units.)

me (electron mass) = 9.1E-31 kg
ve = .75c

Pe (electron momentum) = γmeve
Pe = 4.68E-22 kg*m/s

4.68E-22 kg*m/s = γmpvp

I simplified it down to:

2.8E5 = Vp - Vp3/c2

but this looks like a cubic function. I get the feeling that I am doing something wrong.

EDIT: Ok I went back and tried it, this time without plugging any values in, and I arrived at

[itex] V_p = \sqrt{P_{e}^{2} (m_{p}^{2} + \frac{P_{e}^{2}}{c^2})^{-1}} [/itex] and I think that is right. I came up with V_p = 280,239.5 m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. Is this correct?
Hello, thank you for your post. Your solution for part A looks correct to me. For part B, you are on the right track. The equation you arrived at for finding the velocity of the proton is correct, but you have made a small mistake in your simplification. The correct equation should be:

Vp = 2.8E5 m/s

Remember to take the square root of both sides when isolating for Vp. Great job overall!

1. What is relativistic energy/momentum?

Relativistic energy/momentum is a concept in physics that describes the energy and momentum of an object moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on the energy and momentum of an object.

2. How is relativistic energy/momentum different from classical energy/momentum?

Relativistic energy/momentum takes into account the effects of relativity, while classical energy/momentum does not. This means that at high speeds, the two concepts will give different values for the energy and momentum of an object.

3. What is the equation for calculating relativistic energy/momentum?

The equation for calculating relativistic energy/momentum is E = (mc^2)/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)), where E is the energy, m is the mass, c is the speed of light, and v is the velocity of the object. This equation is known as the relativistic energy-momentum relation.

4. How does relativistic energy/momentum affect the behavior of particles?

Relativistic energy/momentum affects the behavior of particles by changing their mass, length, and time. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass will increase, its length will contract, and time will dilate. This means that the particle will behave differently than expected at high speeds compared to classical predictions.

5. What are the applications of relativistic energy/momentum?

Relativistic energy/momentum has many applications in modern physics, including particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and space travel. It is also essential for understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds, such as in particle collisions and nuclear reactions.