Threshold Energy Calculation for Proton-Proton Collision

In summary, the question asks to compute the threshold energy of protons in a beam for the production of neutral pions through a collision with protons at rest in a laboratory setting. This involves using the relativistic equations for conservation of momentum and energy, as well as the relativistic velocity addition formula to determine the initial speeds of the particles in the lab frame. Despite attempts, the solution remains elusive and further guidance is needed.
FreeAnnyong

Homework Statement

When a beam of high-energy protons collides with protons at rest in the laboratory (e.g., in a container of water or liquid hydrogen, neutral pions are produced by the reaction p+p --> p+p+(pion). Compute the threshold energy of the protons in the beam for this reaction to occur.

Homework Equations

I don't even know where to start with this one.

The Attempt at a Solution

All attempts I've made are ridiculous because I didn't even know what equations to start with.

Physics news on Phys.org
You still have conservation of momentum and mass/energy, but you have to use the relativistic equations for them. the momentum for a particle is

[tex] \gamma m_0 v [/tex] and the kinetic energy is [tex] \gamma m_0 c^2 [/tex].

It's probably easiest to work in a frame where the initial momentum is 0. In this frame the final speed of all the particles involved can be 0. You'll have to use the relativistic velocity addition formula to compute what the initial speeds in the lab frame must have been.

I've been trying your suggestion, and I'm still getting nowhere. I try setting up the conservation of energy equation but I keep ending up with everything canceling and I just get 0=0. I feel like a complete idiot, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

1. What is the relativistic energy problem?

The relativistic energy problem is a fundamental concept in physics that arises from Einstein's theory of relativity. It deals with the relationship between energy and mass, and how they are interconnected in relativistic systems.

2. How is relativistic energy different from classical energy?

Relativistic energy takes into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics remain the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the energy of a system can change depending on the observer's frame of reference, unlike classical energy which is considered constant.

3. What is the equation for calculating relativistic energy?

The equation for relativistic energy is E = mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows the direct relationship between energy and mass in relativistic systems.

4. How does the concept of mass-energy equivalence tie into the relativistic energy problem?

The concept of mass-energy equivalence, as stated in Einstein's famous equation E=mc², is a crucial component of the relativistic energy problem. It explains how mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into one another.

5. What are some real-world applications of the relativistic energy problem?

The relativistic energy problem has many practical applications, such as in nuclear reactors, particle accelerators, and in understanding the behavior of objects traveling at high speeds, such as spacecraft. It is also important in the development of technologies such as nuclear power and nuclear weapons.