Relativistic Energy: Explained

In summary: The body does not have to be stationary to experience relativistic energy, as long as there are differences in momentum between frames. The body does not have to be stationary to experience relativistic energy, as long as there are differences in momentum between frames.In summary, relativistic energy is energy that is affected by the relative motion of objects.
Honorable_Death
can anyone explain to me wha relativistic is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Honorable_Death said:
can anyone explain to me wha relativistic is?

It means "obeying the Lorentz transformation" which is necessary if your physics covers different inertial frames (as for example, a fast moving subatomic particle and a lab apparatus assumed at rest). This means that energy depends on relative speed.

wow sorry i don't no what was wit me when i wrote that forum, but what i ment to ask was can anyone explain to me what relativistic energy is?

Honorable_Death said:
wow sorry i don't no what was wit me when i wrote that forum, but what i ment to ask was can anyone explain to me what relativistic energy is?
Seems to me that when someone is using that term they are referring to the sum of kinetic energy + rest mass energy.

Pete

That's just energy isn't it?

El Hombre Invisible said:
That's just energy isn't it?
Energy (sometimes referred to as "total energy") is an undefined quantity. Its a number associated with a system and this number is a constant. Energy is made up of various forms of energy each of which are well defined. One form is kinetic energy, one is mass-energy, one is potential energy etc. The quantity

E = K + E0

may be what you're thinking of as "relativistic energy." I can't say for sure because I don't know where you got this term. These terms can have different meanings between different authors. I refer to E as "inertial energy." The quantity W defined as

W = E + U

where U is a function of the position of the particle. W is referred to as the total energy of the particle in, say, and electric field. I don't recall ever seening the term "relativistic energy" anywhere. However I've read so much I may have forgotten I've seen it.

Pete

Last edited:
Relativistic energy due to observable differences in total energy due to differing reference frames. The total energy of an object is given by the root of (pc)^2 + (mc)^2, so relativistic energy is dependant on momentum, which may change frame to frame.

El Hombre Invisible said:
Relativistic energy due to observable differences in total energy due to differing reference frames. The total energy of an object is given by the root of (pc)^2 + (mc)^2, so relativistic energy is dependant on momentum, which may change frame to frame.
That's true so long as the body is not under stress and has zero potential of position.

Pete

What is relativistic energy?

Relativistic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its mass and motion, taking into account the effects of special relativity.

How is relativistic energy different from classical energy?

Relativistic energy takes into account the concept of mass energy equivalence and the fact that the speed of light is the maximum speed in the universe, while classical energy does not.

What is the formula for calculating relativistic energy?

The formula for calculating relativistic energy is E = mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

What are some real-life applications of relativistic energy?

Some real-life applications of relativistic energy include nuclear energy, particle accelerators, and space travel.

How does relativistic energy affect the behavior of particles at high speeds?

Relativistic energy affects the behavior of particles at high speeds by causing their mass to increase, their length to contract, and their time to dilate, as observed in the theory of special relativity.