1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic escape velocity

1. Nov 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the escape velocity on the surface of the neutron star in the previous problem (##m = \frac{2}{3} \cdot 2,1 \cdot M_{\odot}##; ##R = 15km##).

Hint: Basic physics. Note, however, that the escape velocity is not going to be small when compared to the speed of light.

2. Relevant equations
    Relativistic kinetic energy:
    \begin{equation}
    K = \gamma mc^2 - mc^2 = \sqrt{(pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2} - mc^2
    \end{equation}

Standard Newtonian potential energy:
    \begin{equation}
    V_N = -G\frac{mM}{r}
    \end{equation}

Relativistic potential energy:
    \begin{equation}
    V_R = ?
    \end{equation}

3. The attempt at a solution

My idea was to set the kinetic and potential energies to be equal, and solve for the speed as usual. The problem is, I don't know (how to derive) the expression for a relativistic potential, which I'm probably going to need because, you know, it's a neutron star we're talking about here.

I found a source (since none of my books were of any use), that simply multiplies the standard Newtonian potential with the Lorentz-factor ##\gamma##, but I'm not sure that's allowed.

Is it, and if so, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2016 #2
    Scratch everything I said. I got the wrong result because of an input error... No such thing as a relativistic potential, apparently.

GG, calculator with a small screen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted