Escape Velocity of a Neutron Star: Relativistic Calculation

In summary, the escape velocity on the surface of a neutron star with a mass of 2.1 times the mass of the sun and a radius of 15 km is not significantly different from the speed of light. The calculation involves setting the relativistic kinetic energy equal to the standard Newtonian potential energy, but there is no need for a relativistic potential energy term.
TheSodesa

Homework Statement

Calculate the escape velocity on the surface of the neutron star in the previous problem (##m = \frac{2}{3} \cdot 2,1 \cdot M_{\odot}##; ##R = 15km##).

Hint: Basic physics. Note, however, that the escape velocity is not going to be small when compared to the speed of light.

Homework Equations

Relativistic kinetic energy:
\begin{equation}
K = \gamma mc^2 - mc^2 = \sqrt{(pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2} - mc^2
\end{equation}

Standard Newtonian potential energy:
\begin{equation}
V_N = -G\frac{mM}{r}
\end{equation}

Relativistic potential energy:
\begin{equation}
V_R = ?
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was to set the kinetic and potential energies to be equal, and solve for the speed as usual. The problem is, I don't know (how to derive) the expression for a relativistic potential, which I'm probably going to need because, you know, it's a neutron star we're talking about here.

I found a source (since none of my books were of any use), that simply multiplies the standard Newtonian potential with the Lorentz-factor ##\gamma##, but I'm not sure that's allowed.

Is it, and if so, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Scratch everything I said. I got the wrong result because of an input error... No such thing as a relativistic potential, apparently.

GG, calculator with a small screen.

What is relativistic escape velocity?

Relativistic escape velocity is the minimum speed required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a massive body, taking into account the effects of relativity.

How is relativistic escape velocity different from classical escape velocity?

Classical escape velocity only takes into account the effects of gravity, while relativistic escape velocity also considers the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which occur at high speeds.

What is the formula for calculating relativistic escape velocity?

The formula for calculating relativistic escape velocity is v = √(2GM/R) * √(1 - (2GM/Rc^2)), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the massive body, R is the distance from the center of the body, and c is the speed of light.

Can relativistic escape velocity be achieved by any object?

Yes, any object can theoretically achieve relativistic escape velocity if it reaches a high enough speed. However, it becomes increasingly difficult to reach this speed as an object's mass increases.

What are some real-world examples of relativistic escape velocity?

Some real-world examples of relativistic escape velocity include the speed of light, which is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe, and the escape velocity of a black hole, which is so strong that not even light can escape it.