1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Force and Momentum

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    I've been having a lot of trouble with this problem. There's definitely something I'm missing and it most likely has to do with the force.

"A mass [tex]m[/tex] is thrown from the origin at [tex]t = 0[/tex] with initial three-momentum [tex]p_0[/tex] in the y direction. If it is subject to a constant force [tex]F_0[/tex] in the x direction, find its velocity [tex]v[/tex] as a function of [tex]t[/tex] and by integrating [tex]v[/tex], find its trajectory. You will need to integrate functions such as [tex]t/\sqrt{a + bt^2}[/tex] and [tex]1/\sqrt{a + bt^2}[/tex].

In addition, check that in the non-relativistic limit, ([tex]c \rightarrow \infty[/tex]), [tex]x(t)[/tex] is what you expect for motion in a constant field and check that [tex]y(t)[/tex] is what you expect for motion in a constant field when the force is orthogonal to the y direction.

HINT: You will need the Taylor expansion of the functions [tex]\sqrt{1 + x}[/tex] and [tex]\ln(1 + x)[/tex]."

The 2nd part seems easy, but I'm simply not sure how to find [tex]x(t)[/tex] or [tex]y(t)[/tex] in the first place.

My work so far:
    [tex]\gamma = 1/\sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)\\
    \gamma_v_0 = 1/\sqrt(1 - {v_0}^2/c^2)[/tex]
    [tex]p_0 = (0, p_0, 0) = m*\gamma_v0*(0, v_0, 0)[/tex]
    [tex]F_0 = (F_0, 0, 0)[/tex]
    [tex]F = dP/dt, \mbox{so } P - p_0 = F*t[/tex]
    [tex]P = F_0*t + p_0 = m*\gamma*v[/tex]
    [tex]v = (v_x, v_y, v_z), v_z = 0[/tex]
    [tex]m*\gamma*v_x = F_0*t[/tex]
    [tex]m*\gamma*v_y = p_0 = m*\gamma_v0*v_0[/tex]

I'm not exactly sure how to proceed from here since I can't really isolate [tex]v_x[/tex] or [tex]v_y[/tex] because the gamma term contains only the magnitude of [tex]v[/tex]. Should I use [tex]\|v\| = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}[/tex] and then work through some really terrible algebra? Or is this even the right way to approach this problem?

Edit: I've actually done the terrible alegbra using [tex]\|v\| = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}[/tex], but the equations I end up with are ridiculous. Can anyone suggest a different method?
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The 4-momentum of the particle, which I'll call P, is supposed to be a 4-vector.

Write down the four components of P:

E (the energy)
    Px (the momentum in the x direction)
    Py (the momentum in the y direction)
    Pz (the momentum in the z direction, which is very easy, it's zero)

You have something that you call P, but it doesn't appear to be a 4-vector.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?