Relativistic Invariance

• Thread starter Ed Quanta
  • Start date
If I were to attempt to prove that the dot product of an electric and magnetic field is invariant under the conditions of Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity, how would I do this? Would the proof be very involved and complicated? Or should I just use hypothetical magnetic and electric fields and demonstrate how the dot product is unchanged when dealing with relativistic frames of reference?

Answers and Replies

DW
Originally posted by Ed Quanta
If I were to attempt to prove that the dot product of an electric and magnetic field is invariant under the conditions of Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity, how would I do this? Would the proof be very involved and complicated? Or should I just use hypothetical magnetic and electric fields and demonstrate how the dot product is unchanged when dealing with relativistic frames of reference?
Its not too complicated. E dot B is what you get for 1/4 the inner product of the electromagnetic tensor with the electromagnetic duel tensor. Inner products of tensors resulting in scalars are invariant which is suffucient to prove that E dot B is invariant. Why do you ask?