1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic kinematics.

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1
    An observer sees two spaceships flying apart with speed 0.99c, what is the speed of one spaceship as viewed by the other? the answer is: 0.99995c.

well we have the equation of relative velocity:
    [tex]\frac{v_1+v_2}{1+\frac{v_1v_2}{c^2}}=0.99c[/tex]
    now i think from the question that i need to find v1+v2 here, cause compared to spaceship 1, spaceship two is moving with speed -(v1+v2) and spaceship 1 compared to two is moving with speed v1+v2.

but how to find it, perhaps i need some algebraic manipulation which i don't see how do, or my above equations are flawed?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2007 #2
    If I understand the situation correctly, you're seeing two spaceships moving exactly away from you with 0,99 c in opposite directions. Now you have to use the last equation on the following page: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/velocity.html with ux=0.99c and vx=-.99c o yield for the relative velocity (as viewed by either of the two spaceships:

[tex]w = \frac{|ux - vx| }{ 1 - ux vx/c^2}=\frac{2*0.99}{1-0.99^2}=0.99995[/tex]

4. Aug 4, 2007 #3
    it should be 1+0.99^2 in the denominator.
    thanks, i didn't undersatnd the situation, i thought that the observer measures the relative speed between them, and that speed is 0.99c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?