Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Kinetic Energy

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2008 #2
    I haven't read the first link, but from what I know I'd say that the second definition is the right one. [itex]E = \gamma mc^{2}[/itex] is the total energy, not the kinetic energy. You can Taylor expand the first expression [itex]E = \gamma mc^{2} - mc^{2}[/itex] with respect to the variable v/c. The first term in the expression, [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex] represents the Newtonian kinetic energy, which will be the dominant term if v/c is small.
  4. Jul 28, 2008 #3
    Where does the first link say that? All I can see under "conservation of energy" is:

E_final = γmc^2 + E_L

5. Jul 28, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

6. Jul 28, 2008 #5
    Your expressions are better written as:

see : Conservation of Energy
    TE = gamma*m*c^2

While here :
    see : Relativistic kinetic energy of rigid bodies
    KE = gamma*m*c^2 - m*c^2

where TE is Total Energy and KE is Kinetic Energy.
    The second expression can also be written as:

KE = TE - RE

where RE is Rest Energy or rest mass energy.

Total Energy can can also be found from this relationship:

[itex]TE = \sqrt{(gamma*m*v*c)^2+(m*c^2)^2} = \sqrt{(pc)^2+(mc^2)^2}[/itex]

which can be written as:

[itex]TE = \sqrt{ME^2+RE^2}[/itex]

where ME is Momentum Energy.

By rearranging this becomes :

[itex]RE = \sqrt{TE^2-ME^2}[/itex]

Since rest energy is usually an invariant, the quantity [itex]\sqrt{TE^2-ME^2}[/itex] is the same when switching from one reference frame to another. In fact, in a perfectly elastic collision, the quantity [itex]\sqrt{TE^2-ME^2}[/itex] is the same for a given particle before and after the collision.

Hope that helps.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?