Why Does Integrating Relativistic Kinetic Energy Lead to Different Results?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integrals in calculations involving relativistic momentum. The speaker is attempting to use the integral ∫pdv = mv/(√1-v2/c2)dv, but is informed that this is not valid in special relativity. Instead, the correct integral to use is ∫Fds = ∫v dp, which is derived from the energy-momentum 4-vector. The conversation goes on to explain the reasoning behind this and concludes with the fact that, even in special relativity, the kinetic energy is equal to ∫v dp.
omiros
I am doing the integral DK = ∫pdv = mv/(√1-v2/c2)dv , in the same way as they do the ∫Fds = ∫mvdv if you separate the integrals. Where is my mistake and istead of (γ-1)mc2 I get -mc2/γ . I know that I am mistaken, I did see some equations but I don't get the 'theoretical' part.

Physics news on Phys.org
omiros said:
I am doing the integral DK = ∫pdv = mv/(√1-v2/c2)dv , in the same way as they do the ∫Fds = ∫mvdv if you separate the integrals. Where is my mistake and istead of (γ-1)mc2 I get -mc2/γ . I know that I am mistaken, I did see some equations but I don't get the 'theoretical' part.

I don't think this approach is valid. The equivalence of ∫Fds to ∫pdv is based on dp/dt being m(dv/dt) which is false in SR because dp/dt needs to include terms from dγ/dt. So your starting point: that you can use ∫pdv as long as you use relativistic momentum is false.

Likes 1 person
The integral you should be doing is ∫Fds = ∫(dp/dt)ds = ∫v dp. Nonrelativistically, ∫v dp = ∫p dv since they are both equal to ∫mv dv, but relativistically they are different.

Start from the beginning. The energy-momentum 4-vector is p = (γmc, γmv). Its proper time derivative is

dp/dτ = (mc dγ/dτ, m d(γv)/dτ)

Since its magnitude is constant, p·dp/dτ = 0. Written out, this is

0 = γm2c2 dγ/dτ - γm2v d(γv)/dτ
divide by γm: mc2 dγ/dτ = mv d(γv)/dτ. Integrate:

∫mc2 dγ/dτ dτ = ∫mv d(γv)/dτ dτ
mc2 γ + const = ∫v d(mγv)

Choosing a constant of integration, this identity expresses the fact that. even relativistically, the kinetic energy is equal to ∫v dp

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is relativistic kinetic energy?

Relativistic kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion at relativistic speeds, meaning speeds close to the speed of light. This energy is a result of the increase in an object's mass as its velocity increases.

2. How is relativistic kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating relativistic kinetic energy is E = (γ - 1)mc^2, where E is the energy, γ (gamma) is the Lorentz factor, m is the rest mass of the object, and c is the speed of light.

3. How does relativistic kinetic energy differ from classical kinetic energy?

Relativistic kinetic energy takes into account the increase in mass at high speeds, whereas classical kinetic energy assumes a constant mass. This means that at high speeds, relativistic kinetic energy will be greater than classical kinetic energy for the same object.

4. What is the significance of relativistic kinetic energy?

Relativistic kinetic energy is important because it helps explain the behavior of objects at high speeds, such as particles in a particle accelerator or objects traveling at near-light speeds in space. It also plays a role in concepts such as mass-energy equivalence and the theory of relativity.

5. How does relativistic kinetic energy impact the behavior of objects at high speeds?

At high speeds, relativistic kinetic energy becomes a significant portion of an object's total energy, which can affect its behavior. For example, as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its relativistic kinetic energy will approach infinity, making it impossible for the object to reach the speed of light. This is also why an infinite amount of energy would be needed to accelerate an object to the speed of light.