Relativistic Kinetic or Classical?

In summary, the problem involves finding the necessary magnetic field for a velocity selector that allows undeflected passage for electrons with a kinetic energy of ##5x10^4eV## and an electric field of ##2x10^5V/m##. The solution involves using the formula ##u = c\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{\frac{E^2}{(mc^2)^2)}+1}}## and solving for the electron's velocity. The classical formula for kinetic energy can also be used as an approximation.
MostlyHarmless

Homework Statement

Suppose you want to make a velocity selector that allows undeflected passage for electrons whose kinetic energy is ##5x10^4eV##. The electric field available to you ##2x10^5V/m##. What magnetic field will be needed?

Homework Equations

##u=\frac{E}{B}##
u is velocity, E is the electric field, B is the magnetic field.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm trying to using the Kinetic Energy to solve for u, and then solve for B.

At first I tried using the classical equation for kinetic energy, which gave me ~.44c. But this value for u, would make the Classical formula not very accurate.

So I tried the relativist formula: ##E_{kin}=mc^2(\gamma-1)## and worked my way down to ##u = c\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{\frac{E^2}{(mc^2)^2)}+1}}##

In this case, I end up with ~.01c which is not a relativistic speed. So my question is, which should I use? And obviously I'm doing something wrong, any obvious mistakes with that last equation? Is there an easier way to deduce the magnetic field given the kinetic energy and electric field?

Physics news on Phys.org
MostlyHarmless said:
and worked my way down to ##u = c\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{\frac{E^2}{(mc^2)^2)}+1}}##

I think it's just an algebra error. I got a very slightly different formula at the end :smile:

First, I had to understand what a velocity selector is.
Here is a clear picture from Wikipedia:

300px-Velocity_selector.svg.png

Indeed, the solution boils down to calculating the velocity of a beam of electron at the enrgy of 5.104eV.
The energy is related to the speed by this formula:

5cbcf34148e7892f9170501e071cbcfc.png

Solving, you should find v/c = 0.412687

v²/c² = (1 - 1 / (Ek/mc² + 1)²)

The classical formula is not so far from the relativistic result.
Anyway, the relativistic formula is more general and is always applicable.
The classical formula is an approximation.

Last edited:
I think in the frustration I broke an algebra rule, and did: ((E/mc^2)+1)=(E/mc2)^2+1^2

>.<

I would recommend using the relativistic formula for kinetic energy. While the classical formula may give you a quicker solution, it is not as accurate when dealing with high energies and speeds. The relativistic formula takes into account the effects of special relativity, which become more significant at high speeds.

As for your calculation, it seems like there may be an error in your equation for u. The correct equation is ##u = c\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{\frac{E_{kin}}{(mc^2)^2}+1}}##, where ##E_{kin}## is the kinetic energy in Joules and ##m## is the rest mass of the electron in kilograms. Also, make sure to convert the kinetic energy from eV to Joules before plugging it into the equation.

To find the magnetic field, you can rearrange the equation ##u=\frac{E}{B}## to solve for B. You should get ##B=\frac{E}{u}##. Plugging in the values given in the problem, you should get a magnetic field of approximately 2.0 Gauss.

In summary, as a scientist, I would recommend using the relativistic formula for kinetic energy and double-checking your calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is the difference between Relativistic Kinetic and Classical Kinetic theory?

The main difference between Relativistic Kinetic and Classical Kinetic theory is that Relativistic Kinetic theory takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, while Classical Kinetic theory does not. Relativistic Kinetic theory is used to describe the behavior of particles traveling at high speeds close to the speed of light, while Classical Kinetic theory is used for slower moving particles.

2. How does Relativistic Kinetic theory explain the behavior of particles at high speeds?

Relativistic Kinetic theory takes into account the effects of special relativity, which states that as an object moves at higher speeds, it experiences time dilation and length contraction. This means that for particles traveling close to the speed of light, their mass, energy, and momentum will also change, and Relativistic Kinetic theory can accurately describe these changes.

3. Is Relativistic Kinetic theory applicable to all particles?

No, Relativistic Kinetic theory is only applicable to particles traveling at high speeds close to the speed of light. For slower moving particles, Classical Kinetic theory is a more accurate description of their behavior.

4. How is Relativistic Kinetic theory used in real-world applications?

Relativistic Kinetic theory is used in various fields of science, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and nuclear physics. It is also used in practical applications such as particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated close to the speed of light, and in the design of high-speed transportation systems.

5. Can Relativistic Kinetic theory be proven experimentally?

Yes, Relativistic Kinetic theory has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and the Large Hadron Collider experiments. The predictions of Relativistic Kinetic theory have been consistently verified and have been crucial in the development of modern physics.