Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic larmor formula

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1

nos

Hi all,

Does someone know where to find the relativistic generalization of the larmor formula? I'm interested in the integral that involves a lot of dot products. So not the derivation that uses covariance to arrive at the formula.

Are there any articles or books available that work out this integral step by step?

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2
    This (http://www.ita.uni-heidelberg.de/research/bartelmann/Lectures/elektrodynamik/edynamik.pdf [Broken]) lecture has a derivation of the relativistic Larmor formula I once comprehended - around page 159. There are two catches:

1) It's in German (but many formulae, so you might get it)
    2)I don't know if it is the kind of proof you requested.

If you have problems in one or two steps, I shall help translating.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Nov 16, 2012 #3

nos

Hi, thank you for replying and its what ive been looking for. Except that I know that the integrated power gives this result. I need to know how to evaluate this integral. It involves a lot of dot product because of the triple cross product.

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4

nos

It's equation 12.70 integrated over all solid angles that give the total power radiated.

6. Nov 17, 2012 #5

nos

In http://www.phys.lsu.edu/~jarrell/COURSES/ELECTRODYNAMICS/Chap14/chap14.pdf (page 14)it shows the integral and it is worked out step by step. They set the angle between velocity and unit vector =Theta, and angle between acceleration and velocity = Theta(0). Does this mean that the dot product of acceleration and unit vector= acceleration * cos(theta(0)-theta))? Sorry for not using math formulas, im at work on my mobile and doesnt allow formulas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook